Principle Managing Engineer
Operating as a senior technical leader, able to understand and interpret the strategic business objectives into the required engineering and platform outcomes required. Support the continued development of the engineers and technical teams to improve the skills and capabilities for technology change.
Although a senior role, this person is still able to provide technical direction when required and seen by the engineering teams as a technical leader, and the role will remain hands on in leading and steering technical teams, both in terms of general direction and implementation.
This role builds strong relationships with our partners, including TCS, to ensure they are correctly engaged into initiatives and that we can maximise their engineering capabilities alongside our own, with the objective of creating a seamless engineering capability across the two companies.
Work with the Head of Software engineering, Head of Product, Commercial and Finance to ensure software engineering costs for the portfolio are known, tracked and optimised.
What will I be doing:
- The senior technical leader for all engineering and development responsibilities within a given portfolio. Must be capable of balancing the need to provide clear technical direction alongside strategic and people leadership.
- Ensure the engineering and platform development roadmaps and backlogs reflect the technical changes required to support the portfolio objectives, the needs of the product areas, alongside the overall engineering and technology strategy
- Continuously work to identify new engineering patters, and share them with the wider engineering management community, to identify opportunities for reuse across different products.
- Work collaboratively with the suppliers Technology Solutions Management capability to support their engagement with the business, sponsor proposed solutions development, provide overall portfolio governance, budget approval.
- Drive a culture of continuous improvement with the partner across delivery and operations to ensure long term improvements to the efficiency of technology delivery.
- Pro-actively seek relevant external insight, trends and innovations, including ensuring suppliers are pitching new ideas and technologies that are useful to furthering M&S business goals
- Ensure a culture of facing into and resolving issues that may develop between M&S and the technology partners
- Line manage engineers and scrum masters within the portfolio and support the community of practice.
- Work closely with the Head of Software Engineering, other Technical Managing Engineers, Software Development Managers and Principal Engineers to continuously review and improve our engineering practices and manage the technology matrix available to our engineers within software engineering
What will I need to be considered for the role:
- Strong leadership across multiple Engineering teams
- Senior IT management skills and experience including development of teams, communities of practices.
- Strong of the full software development lifecycle
- Experienced designing and building a numerous of varied software systems, and are highly confident driving system design conversations, ensuring software system are being build correctly and to the highest possible quality level
- Expert understanding of software architecture and best practices related to building, testing, deploying and supporting highly scalable software systems
- Strong understanding of quality assurance. Understand testing quadrants and the testing pyramid, and how to apply them to drive a test strategy for a software system
- Expert understanding of both general software design patterns and enterprise integration patterns
- Knows how to lead senior engineers and technical stakeholders to a desired outcome, without prescribing it
- Strong experience of managing successful delivery in an Agile software environment and in delivering waterfall projects
- Strong knowledge of the technologies required within a portfolio
- Strong track record of strategic and innovative thinking
- Excellent communication skills – relatability to non-technical business users and technical resources
- Excellent people management skills