Deputy Store Manager Designate - Clothing & Home - South London
Get ready to manage your store to success
There’s never been a more exciting time to join M&S. We’ve embarked on a business transformation and are looking for visionary Store Managers and Deputy Store Managers who are thrilled by the challenge of introducing innovative, new experiences to the retail world – and surprising every single customer with reasons to shop in our stores day in, day out.
We want you to take pride in the M&S magic and bring it to more people, more often. The bigger, bolder ways you drive business performance, the amazing energy your team provides and the smooth-running operational expertise should convince our customers there really is nowhere else to shop. We want every customer to see their money going way further than simply the quality of their purchases. Be ready to inspire a team that’s trend aware, comfortable adopting brand-new digital tools and talking about our online services and social media channels.
This goes beyond being a strong leader. You’ll confidently implement the business retail plan, hire and inspire colleagues who love to please our customers, and spot clever growth opportunities in customer feedback. By keeping close to the P&L of your store every step of the way, you’ll make it your mission to build the most successful store in your region - all done with the admiration of your team and flair of an expert in modern retail trends.In-Store FAQs
Deputy Store Manager
Area Manager/Support Office roles
Why work in M&S?
A career in Retail Management with M&S is a great choice for anybody that wants to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, where you will be challenged as both an individual and a leader. With such a diverse network of colleagues and customers, every day is different- and that's what makes it great!
Lucy, Store Manager
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a partner or family member.
A minimum 28 days’ statutory holiday per year, pro-rata if you’re part time.
You can reduce your salary in exchange for up to one contractual week of additional holiday, subject to eligibility and National Living Wage requirements.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on the role that you do and the performance of our business.
If you save 3% of your pay into our Pension Saving Plan we will add an extra 6%. More details at www.yourmandspension.com
Free cover of two times your annual salary up to age 70. If you pay into our Pension Saving Plan we double this to four times.
Allows you to save between £5 and £500 per month for three years with the option to buy shares at a 20% discount – or simply take your savings back.
Invest between £10 and £150 each month from your gross salary to buy M&S shares and build up an investment.
Enjoy savings on everyday costs to holidays, recognise your colleague’s success and get more information and support on your wellbeing & benefits.
Cycle to Work
Hire a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest free financing directly from your salary.
Health & Wellbeing
Save money on you and your families medical and dental expenses. Get great discounts on gym memberships, active wear, and health products.
Mental Health Support
Free 24/7 support from our expert health and wellbeing partners PAM Wellbeing - including free counselling and CBT as well as support for your family.
Support charities you care about the most by donating through your pay or even volunteer for them for one day.
Access to information and support to help you manage your finances from long term savings to managing your debt or money worries.
Celebration time provides additional time off (up to one day per year) for a special occasion.
Virtual GP service
Free and unlimited access to a qualified GP for all UK colleagues and their families.
Deputy Store Manager Designate - Clothing & Home - South London
M&S is changing, and it's changing fast! As part of our ongoing transformation to deliver "Stores of the Future" we are looking for innovative and resilient Leaders. We are working hard to ensure our store estate is fit for the future, by trialling different concepts and opening new stores – our plan is to open c.75 stores over the next 3 years that will offer our customers a new and innovative shopping experience, whilst maintaining the traditional M&S values our customers love.
The sweeping innovations that we’re rolling out at M&S will define a new era of retail. And we want you to help us introduce them to our customers. As a Manager in-store, we want you to help us transform our business on a record scale, by showing everyone how crafting the perfect customer experience can change M&S for good.
As an M&S Store or Deputy Store Manager demonstrating strong drive and vision is imperative, having a real commercial instinct, a business transformation mentality, and a passion for high performance in everything you do is key. We are looking for accomplished Retail Superstars with experience in food retail or clothing & home who are proven leaders.
About the role
Setting first class standards and driving continuous improvement are crucial attributes to exploit every commercial opportunity and drive sales. With a passion for delivering excellent standards at all times combined with continuously driving growth & profitability of the store or Foods section through successful implementation of the M&S retail plan.
- To drive a selling culture within your team.
- To lead your team to deliver excellent customer service and hit store targets.
- Deliver an inspirational, improved, and consistent visual customer journey instore which inspires our customers to shop and buy more often.
- To utilise and exploit data & Management Information to support with operational decisions.
- To implement a continuous improvement mentality.
- Build relationships with key partners across your Region and beyond to maximise all growth opportunities, execute fantastic events and drive conversion.
- To continuously seeking opportunities to develop future talent through performance tools and development programmes.
- A superb knowledge of Retail.
- A proven leadership track record and the ability to lead effectively through ambiguity.
- Tech savvy - an understanding of systems and have the ability to exploit them.
- Comfortable having difficult conversations and able to get effective resolutions with both colleagues and line managers.
- Able to juggle a number of priorities whilst still maintaining an excellent standard and working with pace.
- A desire to push boundaries and collaboratively make a difference.
- Demonstrate flexibility and resourcefulness to change and the ability to lead teams through change with a growth mentality.
What’s in it for you?
- A great work / life balance - working only 1 full weekend in 2.
- 20% Colleague discount on most things from furniture, fashion and of course food.
- First class welcome to M&S with a tailored 12-week induction in your training store.
- Options to progress – it’s something we’re proud of at M&S.
- Holiday Entitlement 28 days – with more earned the longer you’re with us
- Celebration Day – a paid day off to celebrate something that’s important to you *
- Charity Volunteer Day – A paid day away from work to support your chosen charity *
- Perks and Discounts via the M&S Choices website (these are great and there are lots!)
- Annual bonus
About the application process:
You’ll initially complete a short online application form and then take part in an on demand video interview. If successful, you’ll be invited to an interview or assessment.
Ready to apply?
We are an inclusive employer and are committed to an active Equal Opportunities Policy which starts with our recruitment and selection process.
If you consider yourself to have a disability or learning difficulty which means you are unable to complete the application process online, please get in touch either by phone on 0345 300 3725 or by emailRecruitment.Online@marksandspencer.comso we can make alternative arrangements for you.
- Qualifying period applies
Similar roles for you
- Team Manager Designate - Foods - Sutton (South London) Sutton, UK Permanent
- Team Manager Designate - Clothing & Home - Sutton Sutton, UK Permanent
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More