Technology Solutions Lead - C&H
- Enabling the business to exploit technology to achieve business goals through the best use of technology.
- Working collaboratively with stakeholders across a business area or areas, using their deep and relevant technology experience, to identify how business challenges can be expressed in a way that enables a greater use of agile, incremental and more efficient delivery.
- Knowing the domain area, market place and capabilities of current and future technology, where this could be relevant for M&S, and build external networks in suppliers, other businesses and technology companies to be a trusted route to the best advice for this area.
- Challenging stakeholders and colleagues to understand the underlying driver for requirements, changing the way they are expressed to be more modular and supporting the demand process and working with the Business Analysts and architects from the partners to enable requirements to be established.
- Building the right networks across the business functional areas to ensure Business Analysts, Product Owners, Projects managers and Agile teams can be directed to the right people to define the solutions.
- Challenging the technology partners or internal technology to identify clear root cause for operational issues, sign-off proposed continuous improvement plans, agree variations to assignment of critical SLAs and KPIs assigned for the business areas.
- Supporting the technology partners in delivering technology change by establishing business stake-holder buy-in for creating, moving and managing operational change windows as well as UX and testing support.
- With business stakeholder agreement approve changes to the technology roadmaps / backlogs for a given business area, agreeing new entrants, removing entries, adjusting prioritisations, ensuring funding for technology teams is focused on the areas of change required.
- Provide finance approval for projects within the sign off limits assigned to the role.
- Integrate with the innovation framework team and the partners innovation function to identify new technology exploitation opportunities, bringing these to the business areas to achieve buy in. Enabling M&S to take advantage of technology disruption.
- Design and establish business cases to support roadmap plans, showing an understanding of the complete lifecycle and impact of costs across the whole technology cost model, ensuring M&S invests in the right solutions at the right long-term cost.
- Work with the partner technology delivery teams, to unblock major issues preventing delivery outside the scope of the provider, provide critical decision making on behalf of the business where required.
- Challenging the partner to demonstrate they have control of delivery across the portfolio, through review of performance, validation and leveraging executive escalations.
- Ensure business systems requirements and priorities are defined, documented and that the business strategy is clearly articulated. Identify opportunities to enhance or adapt existing business processes where more appropriate than a technical solution. Work with delivery partner throughout the project lifecycle to ensure that the solution proposed meets with the business requirements, and ensure that any design issues that arise are resolved.
- Work with Portfolio Support to ensure business benefits are quantified in relation to requirements and impacts to process, organisation, acceptance testing, training and culture are identified, planned for and managed.
- Support the Head of Technology Solutions in developing roadmaps, managing the M&S Technology planning and forecasting, ensuring alignment to strategic imperatives for M&S. Provide holistic project management as required, including planning, controlling and managing projects.
Key accountabilities and measures
- Establish requirements and business needs in a way that increasingly supports an agile delivery approach.
- Support the business area in its transition to working with a Technology function that is increasingly using agile over waterfall delivery approaches.
- Challenging the business to articulate the individual business needs in a way that can be split into individual requirements.
- Foster strong working relationships with relevant Business Stakeholders and Product teams
- Identify opportunities to enhance or adapt existing business processes where more appropriate than a technical solution
- Work with the Partner development/engineering teams to ensure that the business requirement/capability is captured and documented are clearly handed over and correctly understood to the required level
- Work with the Supplier development/engineering teams throughout the project lifecycle to ensure that the solution proposed meets with the business requirement/capability, and ensure that any design issues that arise are resolved
- Work alongside the partner Business Solutions Manager to ensure that the impact in terms of process, organisation, acceptance testing, training and cultural effects is planned for and managed
- Support business case production including business, technical and financial feasibility assessment as required
- Undertake project management activities on small projects where necessary
- Work with the Technology Delivery Manager to ensure processes within M&S are working correctly to support partner delivery
- Feedback any partner failure/blockage to the Technology Delivery Manager and relevant HOTs to support shift resolution and service improvement
- Ensure any supplier failures/blockages are clearly understood and appropriate resolutions recommended
- Deputise for the Business Solutions Manager as required the accountable technology head during major operational events.
- Experienced Analyst, Project Management, Consulting or Product Ownership
- Experience working across different project methodologies, Waterfall and Agile
- Expert understanding of stages in a project lifecycle
- Detailed expertise in existing business processes and commercial understanding of the business area related to relevant project
- Strong experience in dealing with senior business users, determining requirements/capabilities and priorities as well as resolving issues
- Exceptional communication skills both written and verbal accompanied by the ability to apply these and tailor communication style to the situation or environment; for example, one to ones, workshop facilitation, key deliverables, presentations
Key relationships and stakeholders
- Head of Technology Solutions
- Commercial Manager
- Principal Architects
- Product Managers / Owners
- Business Change Manager
- Partner BSM, PM, TDM, DMs - Delivery teams
- Partner Architects
Values and behaviours
- Collaborator – builds and maintains efficient and inclusive partnerships with suppliers, the business and team
- Continuous Improver – challenges the norm and drives improvements to delivery and ways of working
- Data Driven – utilises industry knowledge, evidence and research to inform decision-making
- Problem Solver – facilitates the unblocking of impediments and promotes creation of new ideas through the use of design thinking methodologies
- Motivator – empowers partners and teams, and is an advocate for Scaled Agile ways of working
- Trusting – fosters an environment of mutual respect that empowers teams and enables decentralized decision making
- Value Focussed – coaches effective prioritisation that maximises value delivery
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More
Angela joined us from the BBC where she worked as a Researcher. But her move to Analytics at M&S saw her announced as one of 2019’s Women in Data.View more