Senior Software Engineer – Foods Hub
We are looking for a passionate, creative, self-motivated Senior Software Engineer to help design, develop and deploy full stack software solutions.
The successful candidate will be able to build high-quality, innovative and performant software, to drive engineering standards across the team and organisation. Help to improve working practises and become a valued leader in the engineering community.
- M&S Food is commencing a significant programme of growth initiatives and technology is a key enabler. This year is a particularly exciting time to get on board with the range available online for the first time and step changes to their commercial, supply chain and cross-channel capabilities. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will play a pivotal and visible role in driving the success of their business strategy through the delivery of technology.
- The Foods Hub is a new software Product for M&S and hence you will play a critical role in ensuring we are making the correct technology decisions to ensure we can build, test, learn and deploy at pace to demonstrate value to the business. It brings together a number of strategically important areas for the Foods trading team, including Supplier Management and Financial Reporting & Analysis and represents one of the four key areas for Foods Technology investment in the roadmap.
- This is a fantastic opportunity to take a leading role on a high-profile and customer-focused team at the forefront of delivering the business strategy.
Key accountabilities and measures
- Collaboratively solves problems and communicates technical decisions through tech-talks, articles and white-boarding sessions
- Can work completely independently, without having to rely on other ream members to make progress or resolve blockers
- Inducts new team members; provides coaching and mentoring to other engineers
- Participates in the recruitment process including sitting on interview panels and reviewing technical tests
- Evangelises clean, quality code within the team and the organisation
- High level of engagement when architecting and developing new software. Constantly looking at challenging the status quo, and improving our platform
- Takes accountability for the technical quality of team’s output as a whole. Being thoroughly involved from architectural and system design sessions to code review and in evaluating performance in production.
- Drives engineering conversations. Always speaks with confidence and is seen as a thought leader by the team
- Actively seeks to work with the wider technology organization, engages in cross functional engineering forums and displays genuine interest to learn more about the big picture of our platforms
- Takes responsibility of the team’s backlog as a whole
- Consults business stakeholders on the best approach for delivering complicated features, both in how it can be split and sequenced, and in terms of potential improvement to the functional requirements
- Naturally puts themselves forward for challenging tasks
- Track record of building and deploying full-stack, distributed web applications
- Expert understanding of software architecture and design principles
- Experience with GraphQL
- Strong experience in a variety of JS frameworks (e.g. react, vue, next, angular, ember, node)
- Understanding of SSR, CSR and site generation as well as the tool chains used to deliver each
- Expert with source control systems (e.g. git)
- Experience with build automation tools (Webpack, nodemon, gulp etc.)
- Expert understanding of build configuration and automation in a CI environment
- Experience working with CI tools (Concourse, Azure Pipelines)
- Strong understanding of containerisation (preferably with Kubernetes and Docker)
- Comfortable deploying and maintaining all infrastructural and application services required by a web-application within a cloud environment both IaaS and PaaS
- Experience working within an Agile, DevOps environment
- Strong experience with testing frameworks and libraries
- Proficiency with TDD & BDD
- Understanding of Accessibility best practices
- Strong experience with HTML/CSS and supporting technologies
- Experience working within a Continuous Delivery environment
- Experience building developer tools and frameworks
- Experience with community driven software projects
- Polyglot. The more languages and technologies the better
- Line management experience
- Contributions towards open source software or organize or speak at software-related meetup groups
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More
Angela joined us from the BBC where she worked as a Researcher. But her move to Analytics at M&S saw her announced as one of 2019’s Women in Data.View more