Regional Marketing Manager – Owned Business (International)
We are in an exciting period of growth in M&S International and a fantastic opportunity has arisen within the central International Marketing team for someone to strategically partner with our owned businesses. Our owned businesses, India, Greece and Czech (along with our International online only markets operated from the UK) represent a significant share of our future growth. Going forward, we want the local marketing teams in our owned businesses to be set up for success to trade independently (with just the right amount of input from M&S HQ) ensuring M&S can be more relevant, more often to our customers around the world.
You’ll be collaborating with the local Marketing teams on building their market brand strategy and supporting them to develop their local marketing plans. Your role will be pivotal in aligning with the central brand & HO teams on the local brand ‘jobs to do’, enabling relevant content development and support from London to deliver against both global brand and local business goals. In parallel, you’ll be building a blueprint for in-market capability and process for the Marketing function in M&S’ owned markets. At first, this will be predominantly focused on our India region, which is our fastest growing market and set to become our largest outside the UK in the coming years. Your action plan will enable India (and the rest of our owned businesses) to ‘go faster’ whilst still retaining all the hallmarks of what makes M&S a much-loved, identifiable and ownable brand worldwide. We’ve done a lot of work already but there is still a huge amount to do so we’re looking for an energetic self-starter who is able to get under the skin of it all and quickly cut through to find the high-value wins. The role will be fast-paced and challenging, but rewarding and fun. It’s ideally suited to someone with experience in building brand strategies & campaigns, with a passion for international markets and cultural learning, plus an entrepreneurial spirit.
Key accountabilities and measures
• Facilitate growth opportunities for the markets, unlocking potential using your industry expertise & knowledge of the M&S global brand agenda.
• Be the constant voice of the brand to the market, providing strategic consult on their annual / seasonal marketing and PR plans including any key growth projects.
• Be the voice of the market at all central brand-led critical path touchpoints. Leverage your local knowledge and insight to influence the central HO Brand and Commercial teams in both their customer journey and business planning development, ensuring they accommodate relevant local customer needs.
• In collaboration with HO & local market teams, identify strategic projects to deliver market growth, working with central International PR, Media & Brand teams to prioritise on roadmap and enable execution by in-market teams
• Own localisation campaign briefs on behalf of the market – be responsible for ensuring clear commercial/customer objectives and KPIs are set & relevant delivery teams (both HO & in-market) are aligned on the brief and execute on-time
Development of localised-Marketing blueprint (owned businesses)
• Scope ideal localisation set-up across in-market and UK based teams, focusing on our key growth market India as a blueprint for future success
• Develop and monitor timeline for end state structure & process, engaging with and influencing UK-based and local market teams (including local MD)
• Ensure key critical path checkpoints are adhered to by both partner & brand teams to deliver key milestones
• Drive alignment of strategic, commercial & customer objectives/KPIs in line with the critical path so success can be monitored and optimised
• You have a passion for process & building high-performing teams with experience of structural set-ups that drive efficiencies and success
• You have experience of working with agencies and in-house creative teams (from either client or agency side) with an in-depth understanding of content production and media planning processes
• You have a digital mindset and have had experience executing both online and offline marketing strategies
• You are a self-starter and creative thinker with strong attention to detail
• You are great with people and can influence stakeholders, peers and ‘clients’ alike to buy into your ideas
• You have a flexible, agile & forward-thinking mentality – you deliver against project timelines and objectives but also know when to pivot to get the best outcome
• Experience of working in or with global teams extremely desirable; experience with India / SE Asia markets would be a huge advantage; passion for International work a must-have
• Experience of fashion retail and understanding of buying process / critical path is highly desirable but not essential
• International travel may be required
Key relationships and stakeholders
• International PR, Media & Brand teams (of which you will be part of)
• International .com & commercial teams
• Local MD’s & Marketing teams
• UK Brand & Production teams
• International Buying & Merchandising teams
About Marks & Spencer International Marks & Spencer is an iconic brand – we’re constantly evolving and have our sights set on the future. Serving over 32 million customers in over 50 markets outside the UK with growing online & offline propositions, we are now a cluster of closely aligned functional teams relentlessly trying to innovate. We experiment, we make big and small changes, and we enjoy the fact that everything we do has the potential to impact and delight over 32 million customers around the world daily. Our International business is now being invested in heavily and the results are starting to show as we outgrow competitors. We have a central International Marketing & PR team, who share some impressive brand & international experience, and have created a clear strategy which will help our local market teams deliver their ambitious goals. We have the benefits of being a smaller team, we’ve removed unnecessary rules and we want entrepreneurial, customer first thinking. Over the next 2 years we will introduce M&S to another 2bn customers worldwide, increase our presence in our current market portfolio, enable Dotcom for our retail markets and work to create a best in class globally consistent, yet locally relevant, brand and customer experience. There is a lot to do and we’d like your help. Therefore, we will continue to hire like-minded individuals from high growth start-ups and big business alike alongside our talented M&S team who bring the right DNA, positive attitude and brand expertise to M&S.