Principal Architect - Technology
Advance the world of digital through M&S
Leading the transformation of an industry. The continuous pursuit of new information, resourcefulness and invention. Thousands, if not millions of people benefiting from your product-led ideas, every day. That’s why you join M&S Tech. Here, you’ll be proud of your projects, enhance your understanding of new technologies, and shape the future of a new, digitally prevailing brand of retail. Progress isn’t in the pipeline, it’s already happening. And we’re as determined to advance technology through M&S, as we are to advance M&S through technology. Want to help us?
It’s a mindset, a special drive and an enthusiasm that says, ‘We can’t wait to solve this problem’. It’s growing closer as a team through deep discussions about the technologies we love, whether next-gen or old classics. Most of all, it’s wanting to share that excitement with our customers and colleagues – reinventing retail into its most innovative form, then unlocking fresh potential and raising the bar yet again.Explore M&OS
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a partner or family member.
A minimum 28 days’ statutory holiday per year, pro-rata if you’re part time.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on the role that you do and the performance of our business.
If you save 3% of your pay into our Pension Saving Plan we will add an extra 6%. More details at www.yourmandspension.com
Free cover of two times your annual salary up to age 70. If you pay into our Pension Saving Plan we double this to four times.
Allows you to save between £5 and £250 per month for three years with the option to buy shares at a 20% discount – or simply take your savings back.
Invest between £10 and £180 each month from your gross salary to buy M&S shares and build up an investment.
Enjoy savings on everyday costs to holidays, recognise your colleague’s success and get more information and support on your wellbeing & benefits.
Cycle to Work
Hire a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest free financing directly from your salary.
Health & Wellbeing
Save money on you and your families medical and dental expenses. Get great discounts on gym memberships, active wear, and health products.
Mental Health Support
Free 24/7 support from our expert health and wellbeing partners PAM Wellbeing - including free counselling and CBT as well as support for your family.
Support charities you care about the most by donating through your pay or even volunteer for them for one day.
Access to information and support to help you manage your finances from long term savings to managing your debt or money worries.
Principal Architect - Technology
Develop and own the technology strategy and roadmaps that helps drive technology towards its strategic goals and objectives
We are undergoing a major transformation in improving its strategic retail proposition. This role will play an integral part in reshaping our exciting technology platform services in line with M&S business demand!
Technology Platform Architecture function provides Enterprise Architecture, Platform Architecture and Solutions Architecture services across all technology domains with the Strategy, Architecture and Innovation area (SA&I), domain areas include Cloud Hosting Services, Data Centre Hosting services, Network and Telecom Services, Application Foundational Services (e.g. Databases) and Operational Tooling (e.g. observability services).
In this position, you will develop and be responsible for the technology strategy & roadmap across Technology Platform areas, including aligning all the dependent technology portfolios including Foods, Clothing & Home. Retail, Data, Logistics and Corporate Services. This involves working within the Technology platform leadership team and collaborating with the CTO, Heads of Technology Solutions, Product Managers and key business partners to optimally translate business needs and requirements into technology success criteria and outcomes.
Finally, in this role you will develop technical thought leadership, demonstrating and encouraging strategic insights from the wider retail industry and our strategic partners, with aim of finding ways for technology to drive ever growing value to the business. Alongside the Technology Platforms focus, you will support the development of the overall Technology strategy and support in the definition of relevant architectural processes, standards and tools.
Key accountabilities and measures
- Develop technology strategy and lead the roadmap creation for the Technology Platform business portfolio, providing a special technology industry context. In crafting this strategy and roadmap, you will influence and align all the supporting technology portfolios such as Retail, Data, Logistics and Corporate Services.
- Engage directly with the senior business leaders within the relevant business portfolio(s) to ensure that the business leadership are bought into the overall roadmap content and direction as part of their wider business strategy.
- Bring outside-in, industry expertise to M&S technology, ensuring this is embedded through strategic and architectural decisions – both internally and those made by TCS.
- Keep abreast of developments in the technology industry and retail market space, participating in thought leadership initiatives and representing M&S Technology at industry events.
- We encourage and enable agile ways of working via automated and consumable platforms, further to this building and maintaining a close working relationship with Engineering.
- Develop strong working relationships with the CISO, Head of Engineering and relevant Head of Technology Solutions, supporting the translation of business needs / requirements into Technology strategy and roadmaps, ensuring technology investments build business value
- Work closely with the Strategic Supplier to enable the successful development and implementation of Solutions and Technical Architecture, ensuring design, planning and product / project delivery support is provided to relevant business portfolios, and is aligned to our Technology strategy and roadmaps.
- Ensure the strategy supports the business’s change priorities in a flexible, efficient and implementable manner, while ensuring our technology investments are aligned and are future-facing meeting the business needs.
- Ensure the Foods architecture strategies are successfully communicated and bought into across the organisation (and appropriate third parties)
- Definition, management and governance of the implementation of, and alignment to, architectural procedures, standards, patterns, processes and tools across the Foods Technology team
- Actively engage with the qualification, selection and ongoing talent management in relation to the Strategic Supplier’s architects and relevant SME's
- Help in the establishment and ongoing development of an active M&S architecture community, ensuring a cohesive and collaborative engagement.
Have a system engineering background and the ability to compare and contrast different solutions to meet a business requirement. Provide technical thought leadership in evaluation of new technologies to meet business requirements and influence key partners leading to adoption. Have in-depth conceptual functional and non-functional knowledge of:
- Seven to 10 years of combined Technology work experience, with a broad exposure to infrastructure/network and multiplatform environments.
- Knowledge of Enterprise Architecture principles & frameworks
- Understanding of agile frameworks and principles.
- End to end agile infrastructure architecture across all layers
- Cloud PaaS (Azure AKS, Mongo Atlas)
- Cloud IaaS (Azure)
- Cloud Integration of SaaS and On Premise
- CI/CD and automation services (e.g., GitHub Actions)
- Server Operating systems (Linux, Windows)
- Server Virtualisation (VMware)
- Storage (Pure SAN – FC, CIFS, NFS)
- Databases (Oracle, MS SQL, DB2L & Mongo)
- Networking (LAN/WAN, Zero Trust and Software Defined Network concepts)
- Enterprise Tooling (PagerDuty, New Relic, Azure Monitor, Azure Security Center)
- We are looking for someones with a learning / growth demeanour, with high levels of resourcefulness and drive
- A consistent record of being able to consult, collaborate and influence
- A phenomenal ability to deliver flexible, reliable, supportable, efficient architectural solutions
- Superb knowledge of the Technology and Retail marketplace, trends and innovation!
- Solid experience of enterprise-level Technology and Application Architecture and the development and delivery of relevant technology strategies.
- Demonstrable experience in solutions architecture, application and/or technical architecture, systems integration, Technology industry standards, services design, architecture principles design, architecture views and viewpoints design, building block design, solutions modelling, systems behaviour.
- Wide ranging experience across modern technology platforms including cloud computing, services and APIs, integration, collaboration, business intelligence and data platforms.
- Commercial evaluation and planning skills (cost models, business cases, TCO calculation, budgeting and forecasting).
- Superb communication, partner management, presentation and technology leadership skills.
- Appreciation of an agile culture and ways of working.
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and loved by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact. We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk smart/flexible working. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process. If you consider yourself to have a disability or learning difficulty which means you are unable to complete the application process online, please get in touch either by phone on 0345 300 3725 or by email email@example.com so we can make alternative arrangements for you.
Similar roles for you
- Lean Portfolio Manager Paddington, United Kingdom Full Time
- Technology Business Change Manager Paddington, United Kingdom Full Time
- InfoSec Operations Centre Manager Paddington, United Kingdom Full Time
- Technical Lead - Data Event Platform Paddington, United Kingdom Full Time
- Technology Solutions Lead - Decisioning Paddington, United Kingdom Full Time
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More