Lean Portfolio Manager
We are turbo charging our transformation plans across M&S underpinned by Technology & Data. This is an exciting opportunity to join the Technology team, to support the delivery of our transformation plans, be a role model for agile principles, mindset & practices including championing a culture of continuous improvement.
- Trusted business partner to one or more portfolio leadership teams, providing insight and challenge across all areas of delivery health – delivery metrics, costs & value/benefits
- Support the LPM Lead in providing a consolidated view for the Chief Technology Officer’s (CTO) technology change agenda across several portfolios.
- Implementing/leveraging the coaching, frameworks and best practice ways of working through Agile Mastery team to enable the efficient running of the Portfolio
- Support Portfolio Lead with implementation of good Lean Portfolio Management (LPM) practices, and focus on collaboration with business transformation teams if appropriate in the portfolio – ensuring consistency and aligned ways of working
- Collaborating with business and technology Finance to ensure consistency of reporting around costs, benefit realisation and value for money
- Operating the LPM model for the Portfolio including monthly and quarterly financial and delivery performance.
- Embedding a continuous improvement mindset for portfolio delivery into the Technology Portfolios
- Providing PMO leadership, frameworks and tools to enable effective portfolio delivery – adopting central framework and amending where appropriate to do so
Key accountabilities and measures
- Support the LPM Lead in the implementation of Lean Portfolio Management (LPM) practices, ensuring that standard approaches are used for cost and benefits tracking
- Matrix manage the Supplier PMO teams aligned to the Portfolios, including objective setting, day-to-day management, and providing input to performance reviews
- Document, maintain and share best practice from across the LPM competencies to ensure that each CTO and their team have the ability to reuse the best on offer
- Take an active role in the Agile Community of Practice to develop, share and embed portfolio-level Agile best practice across M&S
- Support Op Planning and investment prioritisation processes as defined by the CTOs, Lean Portfolio
- Management (LPM) Leads and Finance Managers. Understand the strategic direction & transformation themes for the Portfolios and the significance of the Epics being proposed in order to participate fully in prioritisation.
- Support the HoTS and their Portfolio team to assure the quality, accuracy and probity of the business cases, with specific focus on the technology change and on-going costs, overall Portfolio do-ability, and benefits realisation (in collaboration with the Finance Manager).
- Matrix manage the Supplier PMO team to ensure production of standardised, accurate, timely and insightful
- data that underpins the Portfolio operations and governance processes and reporting
- End to end cost management from overseeing investment order (IO) and purchase order (PO) creation to monthly cost reporting with insightful commentary and quarterly/ rolling re-forecast
- Ensure that KPIs for Portfolio heath, are in place, measured and used for action to drive improvements
- Produce insightful commentary and challenge on Portfolio health and quality for discussion at Portfolio Reviews, highlight risks, exceptions and actions required – across delivery metrics, costs and value
- Working with the Suppliers and the Portfolio team shortly after a quarterly buy has been submitted to confirm do-ability of quarterly resource plans both in terms of sequencing, inter-dependencies and resourcing
- Review Statements of Work (SOWs) from the PMO required for initiating work. Focus to be given to alignment with plan, and ensuring appropriate commercial terms are included within the SOW (e.g. correct rate card, OFL %, efficiency %)
- Actively support the Portfolios during Programme Increment (PI) planning including reviewing of dependencies to ensure ownership, and / or identifying areas to include on the CI / Flow backlog
- Working with the Agile ‘Mastery’ team to operationalise coaching and learning plans as agreed with the Lean Portfolio Management (LPM) Leads, HoTS and CTOs to drive flow through agile ways of working
- Establish and operate a Portfolio process flow (e.g. Kanban) to visualise and analyse the prioritisation of Epics; taking a concept within the organisation from ideation to delivery and completion
- Inspect & adapt (PIR) – review of PI deliverables against PI objectives & lessons learned. Work as part of the portfolio leadership team to set the next PI objectives & KPIs.
- Drive an agenda of automating processes and reporting wherever practicable
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More
Angela joined us from the BBC where she worked as a Researcher. But her move to Analytics at M&S saw her announced as one of 2019’s Women in Data.View more