Head of Technology - E-Commerce Supply Chain
Join us on our transformation journey. M&S is a much- loved British brand and business that is changing fast – but still with the values of quality, service, value and innovation at its heart. With a great deal of investment over the next few years in terms of building out and evolving warehouses and instore, it’s a great time to join us.
This exciting new role will drive creation of new Supply-chain technology solutions necessary to support M&S business transformation and support Dot Com growth in particular. Working with Supply-chain & Dot Com business unit colleagues and Technology’s strategic partners, this role will formulate & maintain the e-comm supply-chain technology roadmap. Central to the roadmap is provisioning capabilities which unlock value, especially when delivered through a modern agile & product-based framework.
Being a key member of the Technology team, you will lead the following activities:
- Enabling Supply Chain BU effectively exploit technology to achieve their business goals.
- Understanding the domain area, marketplace, and capabilities of current and future technology, highlighting where this could be relevant for advancing M&S’ Supply Chain
- Working collaboratively with Supply Chain BU to understand the underlying business drivers to ensure we solve the right problem with the right solution.
- Facilitate roadmap creation and govern backlogs to assigned products - to ensure M&S invests at the appropriate long-term cost.
- Govern technical delivery of Epics and Features, supporting our technology partners as appropriate.
- Maintain operational excellence of the system estate, at a sustainable business TCO.
- Drive the increasing adoption of agile practices and lean portfolio management both in the Technology function and within the Business Unit.
Key Accountabilities & Measures
- Establish high-level capability requirements and business needs by engagement with senior colleagues and their teams.
- Foster strong working relationships with business colleagues and product teams, evangelising an agile and product approach.
- Work with Technology’s Partner’s teams to ensure that the high-level capabilities identified are correctly understood to the required level.
- Work with internal Technology teams, including Architecture, Governance, Finance, and Commercial, to support improved key planning processes.
- Support creation of investment funding requests, including business, technical and financial feasibility assessment as required.
- Drive agile adoption and implementation within Clothing & Home, owning and delivering specific components of our transition.
- Deputise for the overall Head of Technology as required, becoming the accountable technology head as required.
- 10+ years of experience as a Portfolio Manager, Programme Manager or Senior Business Analyst with exposure & understanding of a product-based model, working within an agile environment.
- A strong background in Logistics either from Retail or FMCG.
- Experience running sites, dealing with 3rd parties, etc.
- Strong interest in Supply Chain Technologies, ideally with experience of warehouse automation, and a well-thought through understanding of technology’s role in creating business value.
- A background in Warehouse Automation.
- Some Technical experience will be necessary.
- Experience working within an outsourced technology model, with a clear understanding and acceptance of its benefits and limitations.
- Sound commercial acumen that can be easily applied to retail, and more specifically the Clothing & Home business within Marks & Spencer.
- Strong experience in dealing with senior business colleagues, determining requirements/capabilities and priorities as well as resolving issues.
- Exceptional communication skills both written and verbal accompanied by the ability to apply these and tailor communication style to the situation or environment; for example, one to ones, workshop facilitation, key deliverables, presentations.
- Excellent financial and budgeting skills
- Keen interest in lean, digital, and a desire to improve working practices through modern productivity techniques.
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More
Angela joined us from the BBC where she worked as a Researcher. But her move to Analytics at M&S saw her announced as one of 2019’s Women in Data.View more