Finance Manager - Change & Control
Fully woven into the DNA of M&S, our Finance team plays a key role in setting the pace for our key business decisions, shaping our budgets, analysing our sales, managing costs and making sure our most vital statistics and data are absolutely accurate.
With a focus on adding value to all business areas by helping them make data-driven decisions and understand what is driving commercial performance – it’s our job to make sure the right tools, processes, governance and ways of working are in place to support this.
The purpose of the Change & Control team is to support M&S in creating and maintaining a strong financial control environment by completing regular process reviews the to make sure controls remain relevant and effective. The Head of the Business Service Centre leads the team that provides this support to M&S.
What you will be doing:
- Support the delivery of the control strategy implementation plan for finance aimed at increasing efficiency of finance processes and control environment improvements.
- Support the completion of designated process reviews identifying significant financial risks and associated control activities.
- Identify process and control improvement opportunities, including automation, and the actions required to achieve these.
- Document “as is” processes and controls
- Document, agree and track proposed changes to process and controls to remediate identified control weaknesses
- Detail the “to be” process and controls; and train colleagues to operate the “to be” controls
- Update process flow charts and the Risk and Controls Matrix (RACM) based on results of process reviews performed
- Build and maintain positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Communicate the findings from process reviews to senior Finance and Business partners
- Support remediation of control gaps, Internal Audit findings and external audit’s management letter points
- Support Finance partners with ad-hoc process and controls queries / improvement requests from the business
- Delivery of required remediation activities
Skills you will need:
- Experienced Chartered Accountant (ACMA, ACA, ACCA)
- Experience of working in a finance control environment
- Understanding of finance processes, experience of reviewing and mapping financial processes, controls design and testing
- Experience of reviewing issues / inefficiencies for end to end processes and conducting a root cause analysis to identify front end controls or automation opportunities in a process
- Strong partner management skills, relationship building & presentation skills to be able to discuss the end to end process and opportunities in detail
- Effective interpersonal skills
- A strong controls ethic and approach
- Shared services experience
- A self-starter who possesses the ability and able to operate independently
- Comfortable operating outside a defined role remit or profile
- High cultural awareness
- Tenacious, consistently maintaining integrity and a sense of professionalism
- Structured and logical problem solver
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact. We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk smart/flexible working. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process. If you consider yourself to have a disability or learning difficulty which means you are unable to complete the application process online, please get in touch either by phone on 0345 300 3725 or by email email@example.com so we can make alternative arrangements for you.
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More
Angela joined us from the BBC where she worked as a Researcher. But her move to Analytics at M&S saw her announced as one of 2019’s Women in Data.View more