Technical Programme Manager - Bank & Services
Advance the world of digital through M&S
Leading the transformation of an industry. The continuous pursuit of new information, resourcefulness and invention. Thousands, if not millions of people benefiting from your product-led ideas, every day. That’s why you join M&S Tech. Here, you’ll be proud of your projects, enhance your understanding of new technologies, and shape the future of a new, digitally prevailing brand of retail. Progress isn’t in the pipeline, it’s already happening. And we’re as determined to advance technology through M&S, as we are to advance M&S through technology. Want to help us?
It’s a mindset, a special drive and an enthusiasm that says, ‘We can’t wait to solve this problem’. It’s growing closer as a team through deep discussions about the technologies we love, whether next-gen or old classics. Most of all, it’s wanting to share that excitement with our customers and colleagues – reinventing retail into its most innovative form, then unlocking fresh potential and raising the bar yet again.Explore M&OS
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a partner or family member.
A minimum 28 days’ statutory holiday per year, pro-rata if you’re part time.
You can reduce your salary in exchange for up to one contractual week of additional holiday, subject to eligibility and National Living Wage requirements.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on the role that you do and the performance of our business.
If you save 3% of your pay into our Pension Saving Plan we will add an extra 6%. More details at www.yourmandspension.com
Free cover of two times your annual salary up to age 70. If you pay into our Pension Saving Plan we double this to four times.
Allows you to save between £5 and £250 per month for three years with the option to buy shares at a 20% discount – or simply take your savings back.
Invest between £10 and £180 each month from your gross salary to buy M&S shares and build up an investment.
Enjoy savings on everyday costs to holidays, recognise your colleague’s success and get more information and support on your wellbeing & benefits.
Cycle to Work
Hire a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest free financing directly from your salary.
Health & Wellbeing
Save money on you and your families medical and dental expenses. Get great discounts on gym memberships, active wear, and health products.
Mental Health Support
Free 24/7 support from our expert health and wellbeing partners PAM Wellbeing - including free counselling and CBT as well as support for your family.
Support charities you care about the most by donating through your pay or even volunteer for them for one day.
Access to information and support to help you manage your finances from long term savings to managing your debt or money worries.
Celebration time provides additional time off (up to one day per year) for a special occasion.
Virtual GP service
Free and unlimited access to a qualified GP for all UK colleagues and their families.
Technical Programme Manager - Bank & Services
Deliver the right technology solutions to achieve business goals
Playing a key role within Technology leading delivery across a number of Product teams. You will be responsible for the delivery and co-ordination of the technology stack underpinning key initiatives across the business. This will require a hands-on approach, combined with strong technical foresight and good partner management, to drive engagement and OKRs. You will be interacting cross functionally with product management, software engineering, and other teams meaning you will be comfortable conversing with experts in a variety of areas in often technical conversations, making complexity clear.Description
At M&S the TPM is the glue of engineering, product and business strategies - and we are looking for someone to work across the teams responsible for our key platforms that M&S builds its applications on.
Bank & Services at M&S is redefining. We want to meet the increasingly sophisticated demands of our customers now and in the future, but realise that major change is needed. In the Bank & Services team, we’re delivering the technology that will help enable that transformation. Our customers are telling us that we need to modernise while keeping true to the values they love about the brand. That’s why we’re looking to digitise some of our in-store products and build new ones to enrich the customer experience, improve engagement and deliver significant value.
This role will be accountable for the delivery ad execution of a number of sophisticated initiatives in the Banking and Services arena. The TPM will partner with some of the best product, engineering and commercial talent in the industry. You’ll play a pivotal role in bringing together different teams and a variety of external partners in an increasingly sophisticated technology landscape. You’ll also have the opportunity to help craft how millions of customers interact with M&S through digital technology.
This role requires someone who can lead and empower diverse teams, build relationships with key collaborators across a variety of teams and who isn’t afraid to get stuck in. We’re leading the way the transformation, so we’re looking for someone who is comfortable being uncomfortable, who can bring people along with them on the journey and who can empower a team to be their best.
The mission is to harness M&S agile ways of working across the teams and our strategic ambitions to enable major deliveries at scale. The key to the success of this role is building positive, trusting relationships through consistent, timely delivery of commitments and effective communication in-line with the M&S Way. More specifically, the TPM role is the embodiment of ‘own it, and get it done’ and centres around the following 6 themes:
- Detailed technical planning and risk management, issue resolution
- Proactive impediment removal
- Productivity - as defined by a set of OKRs
- Dependency management
- Co-ordination and comms
- Successful implementation of continuous improvement processes
- Enabling the business to exploit technology solutions to achieve business goals through the best use of technology.
- Working collaboratively with partners across a business area or areas, using their deep and relevant technology experience, to identify how business challenges can be expressed in a way that enables a greater use of agile, incremental and more efficient delivery.
- Building the right networks across the business functional areas teams can be advised to the right people to define the solutions.
- Challenging the technology partners or internal technology to identify clear root cause for operational issues, sign-off proposed continuous improvement plans, agree variations to assignment of critical SLAs and important metrics assigned for the business areas.
- Supporting the technology partners in delivering technology change by establishing business partner consensus for creating, moving and managing operational change windows as well as UX and testing support.
- Provide finance approval for projects within the sign off limits assigned to the role.
- Design and establish business cases to support roadmap plans, showing an understanding of the complete lifecycle and impact of costs across the whole technology cost model, ensuring M&S invests in the right solutions at the right long-term cost.
- Work with the partner technology delivery teams, to unblock major issues preventing delivery outside the scope of the provider, support the Business in critical decision making on behalf of the business where required.
- Challenging the partner to demonstrate they have control of delivery across the portfolio, through review of performance, validation and demonstrating executive issues.
- Work with Portfolio Support to ensure business benefits are quantified in relation to requirements and impacts to process, organisation, acceptance testing, training and culture are identified, planned for and managed.
- Support the Head of Technology Solutions in developing roadmaps, managing the M&S Technology planning and forecasting, ensuring alignment to strategic imperatives for M&S. Provide comprehensive project management as required, including planning, controlling and managing projects.
- Support the business area in its transition to working with a Technology function that is increasingly using agile over waterfall delivery approaches.
- Challenging the business to articulate the individual business needs in a way that can be split into individual requirements.
- Foster strong working relationships with relevant Business Stakeholders and Product teams
- Find opportunities to enhance or adapt existing business processes where more appropriate than a technical solution
- Work with the Partner development/engineering teams to ensure that the business requirement/capability is captured and documented are clearly handed over and correctly understood to the required level
- Support case production including business, technical and financial feasibility assessment as required
- Feedback any partner failure/blockage to the Delivery Manager and relevant HOTs to support shift resolution and service improvement
- Ensure any supplier failures/blockages are clearly understood and appropriate resolutions recommended
- Deputise for the Head of Technology as required the accountable technology head during major operational events.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- 5+ years of Program Management or Technical Product Management experience
- Consistent record of successfully launching technology products and services with geographically distributed teams
- Ability to work on and supervise multiple projects simultaneously within a Product structure
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and strategically when implementing products and solving problems
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-‐technical individuals
- Deep experience with Agile methodologies and engineering led products
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact. We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk flexible working. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process. If you consider yourself to have a disability or learning difficulty which means you are unable to complete the application process online, please get in touch either by phone on 0345 300 3725 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can make alternative arrangements for you.
Similar roles for you
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More