Staff Software Engineer
Advance the world of digital through M&S
Leading the transformation of an industry. The continuous pursuit of new information, resourcefulness and invention. Thousands, if not millions of people benefiting from your product-led ideas, every day. That’s why you join M&S Tech. Here, you’ll be proud of your projects, enhance your understanding of new technologies, and shape the future of a new, digitally prevailing brand of retail. Progress isn’t in the pipeline, it’s already happening. And we’re as determined to advance technology through M&S, as we are to advance M&S through technology. Want to help us?
It’s a mindset, a special drive and an enthusiasm that says, ‘We can’t wait to solve this problem’. It’s growing closer as a team through deep discussions about the technologies we love, whether next-gen or old classics. Most of all, it’s wanting to share that excitement with our customers and colleagues – reinventing retail into its most innovative form, then unlocking fresh potential and raising the bar yet again.Explore M&S Tech
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a member of your household.
We know how important work life balance is for our colleagues, so we offer paid holiday, the potential to buy extra holiday and other paid time off leave such as family leave.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on your role and our business performance.
Life cover of twice your salary up to age 70, which is doubled when you join Your M&S Pension Saving Plan.
We offer a number of ways for you to save. When you join your M&S Savings plan, M&S will pay in up to 12% of your salary. You can also choose to join our Share Buy and Sharesave schemes and pay into general savings and ISAs.
Save on everyday costs through discounts and offers and get access to our great benefits, such as discounted gym membership and health benefits. You can also recognise colleagues’ successes too.
Cycle to Work
Get a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest-free financing directly from your salary.
Resources to support our colleagues to have Healthy Lifestyles, Healthy Minds and Healthy Finances, including a free 24/7 virtual GP service and free expert help through our confidential 24/7 employee assistance programme for both you and your family.
Support favourite charities - donate through your pay or even volunteer for them.
Staff Software Engineer
Staff Software Engineer – Identity and Access ManagementRole accountability
We are looking for a passionate Software Engineer to help lead, design, develop and operate core parts of the M&S digital platform, focusing on our Customer Identity and Access Management (CIAM) solutionThe opportunity
A role within M&S Software Engineering means you’ll be joining a well-loved historic brand, working on a digital platform that serves millions of loyal customers and thousands of colleagues.
With ethical values that run right through the company’s core and technology leaders that truly understand software engineers and engineering, it’s an exciting time as we’re transforming into a digital first and engineering-led organisation, with the quality of our engineering team being a key differentiator.
M&S Software Engineering is a friendly, passionate and humble team, where everyone has a voice and is encouraged to contribute ideas and talk straight. You’ll get the opportunity to learn and grow, take true ownership, influence our technology and help us solve interesting problems for our customers and colleagues.
We have a genuine ambition to become engineering first, building and operating an extraordinary digital platform. We are looking for people to join our community of engineers to support this transformation, build a modern digital ecosystem using exciting technologies, participate in our hackathons and do the best work of their careers.Area tech stack
- Java Springboot
- OAuth and OpenID Connect
- Experience with or desire to learn CIAM Integration with third Party SaaS Vendors, identifying challenges and researching alternatives
- Technical ability to design and migrate identities from a legacy identity source to a modern identity source
- Drive the gathering of information for identifying business process requirements and related provisioning solutions.
- Document design approaches and lead technical implementation, covering all key integrations
- Create monitoring, alerting, performance strategies and dashboards
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will lead the build, deployment and operational support of high-quality, reliable software running at scale in the cloud, working with fellow engineers to create solutions to complex problems, using standard design patterns and technologies.
You will actively work with the wider technology organisation, engage in cross-functional engineering forums and display genuine interest to learn more about the big picture of our platforms. You will also work with Product Managers, Architects and Stakeholders to lead technical decisions and articulate their impactWhat you need to succeed
- Consistently lead the delivery of high-quality reliable software meeting or exceeding industry standards
- Positive feedback from colleagues and seen widely as a confident leader with a point of view
- Pro-active evangelism and knowledge sharing with software engineering community
- Mentoring other engineers to raise the bar of engineering at M&S
- Ability to learn, apply and guide new technical concepts and skills quickly
- Proficiency in influencing senior colleagues
- Track record of building and deploying full-stack, distributed applications
- Expertise in multiple non-trivial software domains, software architecture and design principles
- Understanding of DevOps: you build it, you run it
- Advocate of GitOps and Continuous Delivery
- Experience with cloud engineering and the public cloud ecosystem
- A healthy thirst for learning and knowledge sharing
- A passion for all aspects of software engineering
- Excellent communication skills, and able to adjust for different audiences
- Cares about the business and the bigger picture
- An ambition to be an open-source contributor, technology writer or speaker
- A driving force in the engineering community
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the retail industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact.
We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk flexible working.
If you consider yourself to require reasonable adjustments to any part of our recruitment process, we invite you to share those requirements with us when completing your application. We will make every effort to ensure your needs are met to provide a fair and transparent process of assessment.
Similar roles for you
- Staff Software Engineer - Full-Stack London, UK Permanent
- Software Engineering Manager London, UK Permanent
- Staff Software Engineer - Java London, UK Permanent
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More
There’s no such thing as one-size-fits-all at M&S. Our new Worklife policy builds flexibility into a career in-store giving you the opportunity to discuss a working pattern that works for you and our business. Learn more and register your interest today.Read More