Staff Software Engineer - Python
Advance the world of digital through M&S
Leading the transformation of an industry. The continuous pursuit of new information, resourcefulness and invention. Thousands, if not millions of people benefiting from your product-led ideas, every day. That’s why you join M&S Tech. Here, you’ll be proud of your projects, enhance your understanding of new technologies, and shape the future of a new, digitally prevailing brand of retail. Progress isn’t in the pipeline, it’s already happening. And we’re as determined to advance technology through M&S, as we are to advance M&S through technology. Want to help us?
It’s a mindset, a special drive and an enthusiasm that says, ‘We can’t wait to solve this problem’. It’s growing closer as a team through deep discussions about the technologies we love, whether next-gen or old classics. Most of all, it’s wanting to share that excitement with our customers and colleagues – reinventing retail into its most innovative form, then unlocking fresh potential and raising the bar yet again.Explore M&S Tech
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a member of your household.
We know how important work life balance is for our colleagues, so we offer paid holiday, the potential to buy extra holiday and other paid time off leave such as family leave.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on your role and our business performance.
Life cover of twice your salary up to age 70, which is doubled when you join Your M&S Pension Saving Plan.
We offer a number of ways for you to save. When you join your M&S Savings plan, M&S will pay in up to 12% of your salary. You can also choose to join our Share Buy and Sharesave schemes and pay into general savings and ISAs.
Save on everyday costs through discounts and offers and get access to our great benefits, such as discounted gym membership and health benefits. You can also recognise colleagues’ successes too.
Cycle to Work
Get a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest-free financing directly from your salary.
Resources to support our colleagues to have Healthy Lifestyles, Healthy Minds and Healthy Finances, including a free 24/7 virtual GP service and free expert help through our confidential 24/7 employee assistance programme for both you and your family.
Support favourite charities - donate through your pay or even volunteer for them.
Staff Software Engineer - Python
A role within M&S Software Engineering means you’ll be joining a well-loved historic brand, working on a digital platform that serves millions of loyal customers and thousands of colleagues. With ethical values that run right through the company’s core and technology leaders that truly understand software engineers and engineering, it’s an exciting time as we’re redefining into a digital-first and engineering-led organisation, with the quality of our engineering team being a key differentiator.What You'll Be Doing
This role sits in the key strategic areas for M&S, which drives Personalisation and Growth across all our Digital channels using Customer data, AI (Artificial Intelligence) and ML capabilities and journey orchestrators. We aim to become global leaders in Personalisation. You will be part of one of the Product Engineering teams that focuses on the following:
- Building and driving tech strategy to scale decisions and recommendation platforms to personalise customer journeys across various channels (web, app, email, notifications and in-store).
- Enabling Collaboration and ML Ops pipelines with Data science teams to build customer vectors.
- Scaling Client and Server-side experimentation using A/B testing and Featuring flagging platforms across our digital channels experience.
- Driving and automating Campaigns through Campaign management tools, Decisioning platforms and orchestration etc.
- Proficient experience building dedicated enterprise applications with backend ecosystems using Python
- Experienced developing and maintaining REST APIs.
- Understanding of CI/CD tools and devsecops practices to test and deploy software (e.g: Concourse, Gitops).
- Understanding of the AGILE framework and ability to communicate effectively with partners.
- Experience with DevOps: you build it, you run it
- Advocate and experience in Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Expertise with microservice architecture and a DDD (Domain Driven Design) mentality
- Proficiency with TDD (Test Driven Development) and/or BDD (Behavior Driven Development) and non-functional testing
- Experience with containerization frameworks like Kubernetes and Docker
- Solid understanding of event-driven architecture and technology such as Kafka (preferred), RabbitMQ, Azure Service Bus
- Strong understanding of cloud infrastructure platforms and concepts such as Azure (preferred), AWS (Amazon Web Services), GCP
- Experience with monitoring platforms such as New Relic (preferred), Grafana, Datadog or equivalent
- A healthy thirst for learning and knowledge
- A passion for all aspects of software engineering
- Enthusiasm in Data Science and Machine Learning
- Produce build high-quality, reliable software and own it with a high degree of automation in the cloud
- Solve problems collaboratively, communicating decisions through tech talks and white-boarding sessions
- Deliver high-quality software design through proficiency in design patterns, algorithms, and data structures
- Help other engineers to produce clean, quality code through code reviews and pair programming
- Coach, mentor and develop lesser experienced engineers
- Engage with product colleagues to improve value for the customer and to understand ambiguous requirements (using some)
- Demonstrate and champion pragmatism in terms of commercial delivery and software quality
- Promote technology, values and ways of working within the team and wider software engineering community
- Good communication skills, both written and spoken and able to adjust to different audiences
- Ability to provide constructive feedback to team members
- Humbleness, humility and honesty
- Cares about the business and the bigger picture
- A leadership mentality that is willing to take responsibility
- Interest in recruitment and new starter onboarding activities
- Hybrid Working
- Industry-leading pension of up to 12% M&S contribution
- Bonus up to 40%
- 20% discount on M&S products
- Learning days once a month, Tech/Ed days once a quarter and Hackathon every other quarter
- A range of well-being support (including free counselling and a virtual GP for you and your immediate family)
- 25% off gym memberships, access to online fitness classes and discounts for complementary health services, such as nutrition and lifestyle coaching
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the retail industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact.
We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk flexible working.
If you consider yourself to require reasonable adjustments to any part of our recruitment process, we invite you to share those requirements with us when completing your application. We will make every effort to ensure your needs are met to provide a fair and transparent process of assessment.
Similar roles for you
- Software Engineering Manager London, UK Permanent
- Staff Software Engineer - Web London, UK
- Principal Software Engineer - Loyalty London, UK Permanent
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More
There’s no such thing as one-size-fits-all at M&S. Our new Worklife policy builds flexibility into a career in-store giving you the opportunity to discuss a working pattern that works for you and our business. Learn more and register your interest today.Read More