Staff Software Engineer - Java
Advance the world of digital through M&S
Leading the transformation of an industry. The continuous pursuit of new information, resourcefulness and invention. Thousands, if not millions of people benefiting from your product-led ideas, every day. That’s why you join M&S Tech. Here, you’ll be proud of your projects, enhance your understanding of new technologies, and shape the future of a new, digitally prevailing brand of retail. Progress isn’t in the pipeline, it’s already happening. And we’re as determined to advance technology through M&S, as we are to advance M&S through technology. Want to help us?
It’s a mindset, a special drive and an enthusiasm that says, ‘We can’t wait to solve this problem’. It’s growing closer as a team through deep discussions about the technologies we love, whether next-gen or old classics. Most of all, it’s wanting to share that excitement with our customers and colleagues – reinventing retail into its most innovative form, then unlocking fresh potential and raising the bar yet again.Explore M&S Tech
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a member of your household.
We know how important work life balance is for our colleagues, so we offer paid holiday, the potential to buy extra holiday and other paid time off leave such as family leave.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on your role and our business performance.
Life cover of twice your salary up to age 70, which is doubled when you join Your M&S Pension Saving Plan.
We offer a number of ways for you to save. When you join your M&S Savings plan, M&S will pay in up to 12% of your salary. You can also choose to join our Share Buy and Sharesave schemes and pay into general savings and ISAs.
Save on everyday costs through discounts and offers and get access to our great benefits, such as discounted gym membership and health benefits. You can also recognise colleagues’ successes too.
Cycle to Work
Get a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest-free financing directly from your salary.
Resources to support our colleagues to have Healthy Lifestyles, Healthy Minds and Healthy Finances, including a free 24/7 virtual GP service and free expert help through our confidential 24/7 employee assistance programme for both you and your family.
Support favourite charities - donate through your pay or even volunteer for them.
Staff Software Engineer - Java
Why Digital & Tech at M&S
We're changing the way we do things, and putting industry leading innovation at the heart of how we operate; we need a stellar engineering team to make it happen. You'll be joining one of the most iconic brands in the UK on its most exciting cycle yet. We're more integrated and product led in our tech teams than ever before: learning, changing, and adapting constantly, with millions of people benefiting from your work every single day.
We have a genuine ambition to become engineering first, building and operating an elite digital platform. We are looking for people to join our community of engineers to support this transformation, build a modern digital ecosystem.
- Java 11+
- Database Technologies including DB2, SQLServer and AzureSQL
- Queues - IBM MQ, Kafka
- Reporting built with MS SSRS and PowerBI
- CI/CD using, Sonar, GitHub Actions
- Microservice architecture
- SRE approach
- AI/Machine Learning capabilities
- Event Streaming Platform with Kafka
You Should Apply If You
- Build and maintain high-quality, reliable software and own it with a high degree of automation in the cloud
- Own complex tasks in the backlog and deliver them routinely with no significant issues
- Develop/improve M&S standard frameworks and policies, ensuring that they are understood and adopted
- Support other engineers to produce clean, quality code through code reviews and pair programming
- Drive DevOps practices to automate the Product development life cycle andsolution through experimentation and innovation as a culture
- Support the technical platform out of hours as a member of the support rota
- Contribute and create Product Group OKRs and demonstrate responsibility for the entire team’s teams' objectives as well as coach, mentor and develop by providing the knowledge and assets to less experienced engineers
- Lead the measurement and improvement of software development metrics
- Help lead continuous learning and improvement for the Products and Product health related to quality and stabilityas well as approach, contribute and help lead product planning and roadmap with an agile mentality
- Promote technology, innovation, values, and ways of working within the team and wider community
- Active participation and contribution to Communities of Practice with a focus on positive momentum
- Drive recruitment strategy and hiring plans
Working for Us Means
- Hybrid Working
- Industry leading pension of up to 12% M&S contribution
- Bonus up to 40%
- 20% discount on M&S products
- Up to 2 weeks working abroad
- Learning days once a month, Tech/Ed days once a quarter and Hackathon every other quarter
- A range of wellbeing support (including free counselling and a virtual GP for you and immediate family)
- 25% off gym memberships, access to online fitness classes and discounts for complementary health services, such as nutrition and lifestyle coaching
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the retail industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact.
We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk flexible working.
If you consider yourself to require reasonable adjustments to any part of our recruitment process, we invite you to share those requirements with us when completing your application. We will make every effort to ensure your needs are met to provide a fair and transparent process of assessment.
Similar roles for you
- Software Engineering Manager London, UK Permanent
- Staff Software Engineer - Web London, UK
- Staff Software Engineer - Python London, UK
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More
There’s no such thing as one-size-fits-all at M&S. Our new Worklife policy builds flexibility into a career in-store giving you the opportunity to discuss a working pattern that works for you and our business. Learn more and register your interest today.Read More