Staff Software Engineer - Java
Advance the world of digital through M&S
Leading the transformation of an industry. The continuous pursuit of new information, resourcefulness and invention. Thousands, if not millions of people benefiting from your product-led ideas, every day. That’s why you join M&S Tech. Here, you’ll be proud of your projects, enhance your understanding of new technologies, and shape the future of a new, digitally prevailing brand of retail. Progress isn’t in the pipeline, it’s already happening. And we’re as determined to advance technology through M&S, as we are to advance M&S through technology. Want to help us?
It’s a mindset, a special drive and an enthusiasm that says, ‘We can’t wait to solve this problem’. It’s growing closer as a team through deep discussions about the technologies we love, whether next-gen or old classics. Most of all, it’s wanting to share that excitement with our customers and colleagues – reinventing retail into its most innovative form, then unlocking fresh potential and raising the bar yet again.Explore M&S Tech
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a partner or family member.
Competitive holiday entitlement
You can reduce your salary in exchange for up to one contractual week of additional holiday, subject to eligibility and National Living Wage requirements.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on the role that you do and the performance of our business.
If you save 3% of your pay into our Pension Saving Plan we will add an extra 6%. More details at www.yourmandspension.com
Free cover of two times your annual salary up to age 70. If you pay into our Pension Saving Plan we double this to four times.
Allows you to save between £5 and £500 per month for three years with the option to buy shares at a 20% discount – or simply take your savings back.
Invest between £10 and £150 each month from your gross salary to buy M&S shares and build up an investment.
Enjoy savings on everyday costs to holidays, recognise your colleague’s success and get more information and support on your wellbeing & benefits.
Cycle to Work
Hire a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest free financing directly from your salary.
Health & Wellbeing
Save money on you and your families medical and dental expenses. Get great discounts on gym memberships, active wear, and health products.
Mental Health Support
Free 24/7 support from our expert health and wellbeing partners PAM Wellbeing - including free counselling and CBT as well as support for your family.
Support charities you care about the most by donating through your pay or even volunteer for them for one day.
Access to information and support to help you manage your finances from long term savings to managing your debt or money worries.
Celebration time provides additional time off (up to one day per year) for a special occasion.
Virtual GP service
Free and unlimited access to a qualified GP for all UK colleagues and their families.
Staff Software Engineer - Java
Staff Software Engineer (Java)
We are looking for a passionate Staff Software Engineer to help craft, develop and operate core parts of the M&S digital platform.
A role within M&S Software Engineering means you’ll be joining a well-loved historic brand, working on a digital platform that serves millions of loyal customers and thousands of colleagues.
With ethical values that run right through the company’s core and technology leaders that truly understand software engineers and engineering, it’s an exciting time as we’re redefining into a digital first and engineering-led organisation, with the quality of our engineering team being a key differentiator.
M&S Software Engineering is a friendly, passionate and humble team, where everyone has a voice and is encouraged to contribute ideas and talk straight. You’ll get the opportunity to learn and grow, take true ownership, influence our technology and help us solve interesting problems for our customers and colleagues.
We have a genuine ambition to become engineering first, building and operating an elite digital platform. We are looking for people to join our community of engineers to support this transformation, build a modern digital ecosystem using exciting technologies, participate in our hackathons and do the best work of their careers.Key responsibilities
- Produce build high-quality, reliable software and own it with a high degree of automation in the cloud
- Own complex tasks in the backlog and deliver them routinely with no significant issues
- Demonstrate responsibility for the entire team’s objectives
- Progress work consistently without significant need for support from more senior colleagues
- Solve problems collaboratively, communicating decisions through tech-talks and white-boarding sessions
- Deliver high-quality software design through proficiency in design patterns, algorithms, and data structures
- Help other engineers to produce clean, quality code through code reviews and pair programming
- Engage with product colleagues to improve value for the customer and to understand ambiguous requirements
- Approach and contribute to product planning and roadmap with an agile approach
- Demonstrate and champion pragmatism in terms of commercial delivery and software quality
- Support the technical platform out of hours as a member of the support rota
- Promote technology, values and ways of working within the team and wider software engineering community
- Contribute actively to M&S engineering communities with a focus on positive momentum
- Coach, mentor and develop lesser experienced engineers
- Lead and take responsibility for initiatives to support senior colleagues
- Assist with recruitment and new starter onboarding activities
- 7+ years of professional experience building enterprise application with the JVM ecosystem
- Strong understanding of OOP concepts, design patterns and coding best practices
- Expertise with distributed version controls systems like Git, SVN or equivalent
- Proficiency with TDD and/or BDD and non-functional testing with common JVM testing frameworks Junit, Mockito, Spock or equivalent
- Experience of DevOps: you build it, you run it
- Experience with containerisation frameworks like Kubernetes and Docker
- Advocate and experience of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Expertise with Java microservice technologies such as Springboot, Quarkus, Micronaut or equivalent
- Demonstrable experience with Spring framework, JPA/JDBC
- Strong expertise in RDBMS and NoSQL database
- Solid understanding of event driven architecture and technology such as Kafka (preferred), RabbitMQ, Azure Service Bus
- Strong understanding of cloud infrastructure platforms and concepts such as Azure (preferred), AWS, GCP
- Experience with monitoring platforms such as New Relic, Grafana, Datadog or equivalent
- Should have worked in a dynamic and agile environment
- Proficiency with documenting software design, technical decisions and recommendations
- A healthy thirst for learning and knowledge
- Ability to work well with others in multi-functional teams
- A passion for all aspects of software engineering
- Good communication skills, both written and spoken and able to adjust for different audiences
- Ability to provide constructive feedback to team members
- Humbleness, humility and honesty
- Cares about the business and the bigger picture
- A leadership mentality that is willing to take responsibility
- Constructive pride in being reliable, and delivering high-quality product
- An ambition to be an open-source contributor, technology writer or speaker
You’ll be working closely with other Software Engineers, Engineering Managers and Product Managers to collaboratively tackle problems. There will be day-to-day interactions with Scrum Masters, who you’ll work with to constantly evolve your team’s ways of working. Depending on your team, you could also interact with other specialists such as Data Scientists, UX/UI Designers and analytics experts.
As a member of M&S Software Engineering, you’ll also have the opportunity to work with and learn from other engineers and specialists in the organisation via our teams (Squads), sets of squads (Tribes), communities of practices (Fellowships), strategic assemblies (Orchestras) or special interest groups (Guilds).How you will measure success
- Consistently delivering high-quality reliable software with thorough automation
- Always demonstrating the company’s ‘M&S Way’ values
- Completion of personal development plans and objectives
- Positive feedback from colleagues
- Engagement with and contribution to Engineering communities
- Upskilling of more junior colleagues and initiatives to help set a higher standard
- Clear and open communication within the team and outside
- Identified leader of part of the platform or go-to authority on specific technology
- Ability to learn, apply and instruct new technical concepts and skills quickly
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact. We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk flexible working. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process. If you consider yourself to have a disability or learning difficulty which means you are unable to complete the application process online, please get in touch either by phone on 0345 300 3725 or by email email@example.com, so we can make alternative arrangements for you.
Similar roles for you
- Software Engineering Manager London, UK Permanent
- Staff Software Engineer London, UK Permanent
- Principal Software Engineering Manager - Personalisation London, UK Permanent
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More