Staff iOS Engineer
Advance the world of digital through M&S
Leading the transformation of an industry. The continuous pursuit of new information, resourcefulness and invention. Thousands, if not millions of people benefiting from your product-led ideas, every day. That’s why you join M&S Tech. Here, you’ll be proud of your projects, enhance your understanding of new technologies, and shape the future of a new, digitally prevailing brand of retail. Progress isn’t in the pipeline, it’s already happening. And we’re as determined to advance technology through M&S, as we are to advance M&S through technology. Want to help us?
It’s a mindset, a special drive and an enthusiasm that says, ‘We can’t wait to solve this problem’. It’s growing closer as a team through deep discussions about the technologies we love, whether next-gen or old classics. Most of all, it’s wanting to share that excitement with our customers and colleagues – reinventing retail into its most innovative form, then unlocking fresh potential and raising the bar yet again.Explore M&S Tech
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a member of your household.
We know how important work life balance is for our colleagues, so we offer paid holiday, the potential to buy extra holiday and other paid time off leave such as family leave.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on your role and our business performance.
Life cover of twice your salary up to age 70, which is doubled when you join Your M&S Pension Saving Plan.
We offer a number of ways for you to save. When you join your M&S Savings plan, M&S will pay in up to 12% of your salary. You can also choose to join our Share Buy and Sharesave schemes and pay into general savings and ISAs.
Save on everyday costs through discounts and offers and get access to our great benefits, such as discounted gym membership and health benefits. You can also recognise colleagues’ successes too.
Cycle to Work
Get a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest-free financing directly from your salary.
Resources to support our colleagues to have Healthy Lifestyles, Healthy Minds and Healthy Finances, including a free 24/7 virtual GP service and free expert help through our confidential 24/7 employee assistance programme for both you and your family.
Support favourite charities - donate through your pay or even volunteer for them.
Staff iOS Engineer
Are you an enthusiastic and product-focused iOS developer? Join our growing mobile engineering team at M&S and contribute to our App Store chart topping iOS application that’s used by millions of our loyal customers every month!
We pride ourselves on being a company that puts engineering first and are very excited to find new people to join our community of mobile engineers, who will build modern features using exciting technologies, participate in our hackathons and do the best work of their careers.
Thee M&S app is a universal app, written completely in Swift, and we are always looking for ways to improve, enhance and extend its functionality. Whether that be core functionality or investigating exciting new technologies like Widgets and App Clips. We want someone with a passion for innovation, excellent awareness of new technologies and a broad grasp on the full engineering stack - someone who thrives in a collaborative product development and engineering environment.Our tech stack
- Universal iPhone and iPad
- Latest Swift and Xcode – aiming to always track the latest toolchain
- MVVM with lightweight functional reactive programming
- Carthage and Swift Package Manager
- Fastlane powered CI and CD via Bitrise
- Regularly adopting the latest Apple technologies – Pay, Wallet, Push, Widgets and App Clips
- Focused on strong unit testing coverage and an ambition to push our UI automation to the next level
We love our engineers to collaborate outside of their specialism and consider the full-stack that they work within. To enable this, we operate our mobile team in multiple cross-functional, squads where we aim to get everyone required to solve a given problem into the same team. You would be joining a squad with dedicated iOS and Android developers, backend, testing, design and product owner – a full vertical slice. This squad would have a defined mission to tackle together, where every individual’s contribution is equally weighted.What we’re looking for
- Demonstrable commercial experience in Swift and iOS development
- Understands continuous integration deployment
- Experienced in using XCTest and XCUITest or similar
- Passion for improving code and UI performance via Instruments (Leaks, time profiler, etc)
- Experienced in an agile delivery framework (Scrum, Kanban, etc)
- Collaborative problem solver
- Loves to contribute new ideas and improvements to the product
- Writing testable code, unit tests and following test driven development
- Broad understanding of the testing pyramid
- Highly engaged in technical discussions
- Mentor and coach more junior members of the team
- Architect sound solutions for features at the epic-level
- Setting and continually improving our development standards
- Actively seeks to work with the wider technology organisation, engages in cross-functional engineering forums and displays genuine interest to learn more about the big picture of our platforms
- Supporting and guiding product managers on technical decisions and their impact
- Steer our overarching mobile engineering strategy and architecture
- Guide and empower a team of engineers
- Lead improvements to our mobile platform, engineering practices and processes
- Create an environment for continuous learning, improvement and feedback for fellow engineers
This list is by no means a checklist, nor is it fully comprehensive. We are looking for passionate iOS developers who just love building the next best thing on Apple’s platforms and working with others to achieve the best value for our customers. If this is you – get in touch!
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the retail industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact.
We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk flexible working.
If you consider yourself to require reasonable adjustments to any part of our recruitment process, we invite you to share those requirements with us when completing your application. We will make every effort to ensure your needs are met to provide a fair and transparent process of assessment.
Similar roles for you
- Staff Software Engineer - Full-Stack London, UK Permanent
- Software Engineering Manager London, UK Permanent
- Staff Software Engineer London, UK Permanent
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More
There’s no such thing as one-size-fits-all at M&S. Our new Worklife policy builds flexibility into a career in-store giving you the opportunity to discuss a working pattern that works for you and our business. Learn more and register your interest today.Read More