Software Development Manager
Advance the world of digital through M&S
Leading the transformation of an industry. The continuous pursuit of new information, resourcefulness and invention. Thousands, if not millions of people benefiting from your product-led ideas, every day. That’s why you join M&S Tech. Here, you’ll be proud of your projects, enhance your understanding of new technologies, and shape the future of a new, digitally prevailing brand of retail. Progress isn’t in the pipeline, it’s already happening. And we’re as determined to advance technology through M&S, as we are to advance M&S through technology. Want to help us?
It’s a mindset, a special drive and an enthusiasm that says, ‘We can’t wait to solve this problem’. It’s growing closer as a team through deep discussions about the technologies we love, whether next-gen or old classics. Most of all, it’s wanting to share that excitement with our customers and colleagues – reinventing retail into its most innovative form, then unlocking fresh potential and raising the bar yet again.Explore M&OS
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a partner or family member.
A minimum 28 days’ statutory holiday per year, pro-rata if you’re part time.
You can reduce your salary in exchange for up to one contractual week of additional holiday, subject to eligibility and National Living Wage requirements.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on the role that you do and the performance of our business.
If you save 3% of your pay into our Pension Saving Plan we will add an extra 6%. More details at www.yourmandspension.com
Free cover of two times your annual salary up to age 70. If you pay into our Pension Saving Plan we double this to four times.
Allows you to save between £5 and £250 per month for three years with the option to buy shares at a 20% discount – or simply take your savings back.
Invest between £10 and £180 each month from your gross salary to buy M&S shares and build up an investment.
Enjoy savings on everyday costs to holidays, recognise your colleague’s success and get more information and support on your wellbeing & benefits.
Cycle to Work
Hire a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest free financing directly from your salary.
Health & Wellbeing
Save money on you and your families medical and dental expenses. Get great discounts on gym memberships, active wear, and health products.
Mental Health Support
Free 24/7 support from our expert health and wellbeing partners PAM Wellbeing - including free counselling and CBT as well as support for your family.
Support charities you care about the most by donating through your pay or even volunteer for them for one day.
Access to information and support to help you manage your finances from long term savings to managing your debt or money worries.
Celebration time provides additional time off (up to one day per year) for a special occasion.
Virtual GP service
Free and unlimited access to a qualified GP for all UK colleagues and their families.
Software Development Manager
Within this opportunity, you’ll be joining the team that maintains the relationship between M&S and its customers. The mission is to build a deep understanding of our customers that translates into delightfully meaningful experiences. It is the most pivotal initiative in the company to drive growth. Our ambition is to put the full power of our brand behind the best technological ecosystem to deliver a new business platform that will allow the implementation of various business strategies efficiently and at scale.
The Technology strategy lined up to support that has already identified a series of platforms that seek at empowering mission-based teams to support customer goals end-to-end. We are talking for instance of a Customer Data Platform. There is also a Personalisation Platform that facilitates decisioning orchestration and the full modernisation of data science activities. To supplement that we are to make experimentation a pervasive concept with low barrier to entry everywhere. If some elements of this strategy are already materialised, it’s still early days. It is encouraged the profiles retained for this role will influence the vision. They will be the main drivers of its execution.Key accountabilities and measures
- The Software Development Manager (SDM) is accountable for the engineering excellence of their teams, from behaviors to operations, from technical direction to solution in production and from skills and growth to reputation.
- The SDM cultivates self-management and accountability at the team level through servant leadership, clear sense of purpose and thoughtful talent management to ensure the team has “what it takes”. That is to say the SDM is fully accountable for any failure and takes no credit in case of success. When done well, their only tool is influence (communication, mentorship, leading from the front, having the team speak to the right people or analyse the right data, etc.).
- The software development manager will lead the alignment with the overarching technical strategy that they influence where vital working the wider Technology organisation to craft it. For instance, the SDM is fully committed to our GitOps strategy and continuously reports on valuable contributions to it.
- The SDM acts as a platform owner, they apply accurate product thinking to what is being built with a view to enable and empower as much as possible the digital product(s) that it supports through data and customer centricity. They also drive the related partner management. Product owners are among their closest colleagues and from this teamwork is to emerge a balanced set of priorities that maximises time to market without compromising on the long-term strategy. The SDM commits to outcomes through their OKRs and then makes it happen. And then communicates to drive awareness and recognition. Marketing is indeed integral part of product thinking.
- The SDM collaborates with the entire engineering leadership, to make us think strategically, to ensure maximum alignment and to maintain a healthy ability to “think big” within their teams.
- The SDM applies their leadership with a “people first” demeanor. Their line management duty extends into supporting Software Development Engineers who have Engineers reporting into them. Frequent 121s, performance, personal development… all the usual good things with the added support of the fellowships.
- The SDM is custodian of the OKR process in their area.
- The SDM supports our engineering communities: fellowships where bar raising happens and orchestras where strategic alignment is facilitated. This support is mainly achieved by creating the space and time within teams for the agenda of these communities to be progressed efficiently.
- The SDM is hands on and continuously seeks opportunities to lead by example in that way.
- The SDM supports the fellowships when it comes to recruiting and is accountable for the onboarding of new engineers into the team. Talent retention is a key measure of their success.
- When vendors are involved, the SDM is positioned as the key technical partner. They own it as a vital part of their platform with the same level of reliability and satisfaction as the in-house capabilities they build and run.
- Solid background in Software Engineering. Strong candidates will have years of experience implanting systems in many different technologies and will have some level of experience across the stack, from front-end to backend system.
- Consistent record in delivering, operating, leading, hiring, pivoting.
- Evidence of effective communication both through speech and in writing.
- Experience with product recommendations, personalisation or more generally data science solutions in context.
- Similarly having experience with data transformation of any kind (data warehousing, customer data platform, reactive paradigm) is highly desirable.
- Demonstrable experience of building and leading a team of highly skilled software engineers, to deliver a best of class software under non-trivial NFRs.
- Strong understanding of system design, software architecture, cloud, and software engineering standard methodologies, especially well versed on CI/CD.
- Strong understanding of what the DevOps mentality is about and how it advises ways of working and technical ownership.
- Strong understanding of testing strategies and reliability engineering.
- Proven track record in influencing the organisation at all levels.
- Proven track record in dealing with several partners and appropriately managing expectations.
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong people management skill, able to get the best out of colleagues you manage.
- Able to balance full workloads and prioritise effectively.
- A strong self-starter with high attention to details.
Similar roles for you
- Head of Product - In-Store Selling & Service London, UK Regular
- Software Development Manager - Salesforce Commerce Cloud London, UK Regular
- Technology Strategy & Transformation Manager London, UK Regular
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More