Senior Technical Programme Manager - International
Advance the world of digital through M&S
Leading the transformation of an industry. The continuous pursuit of new information, resourcefulness and invention. Thousands, if not millions of people benefiting from your product-led ideas, every day. That’s why you join M&S Tech. Here, you’ll be proud of your projects, enhance your understanding of new technologies, and shape the future of a new, digitally prevailing brand of retail. Progress isn’t in the pipeline, it’s already happening. And we’re as determined to advance technology through M&S, as we are to advance M&S through technology. Want to help us?
It’s a mindset, a special drive and an enthusiasm that says, ‘We can’t wait to solve this problem’. It’s growing closer as a team through deep discussions about the technologies we love, whether next-gen or old classics. Most of all, it’s wanting to share that excitement with our customers and colleagues – reinventing retail into its most innovative form, then unlocking fresh potential and raising the bar yet again.Explore M&OS
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a partner or family member.
A minimum 28 days’ statutory holiday per year, pro-rata if you’re part time.
You can reduce your salary in exchange for up to one contractual week of additional holiday, subject to eligibility and National Living Wage requirements.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on the role that you do and the performance of our business.
If you save 3% of your pay into our Pension Saving Plan we will add an extra 6%. More details at www.yourmandspension.com
Free cover of two times your annual salary up to age 70. If you pay into our Pension Saving Plan we double this to four times.
Allows you to save between £5 and £250 per month for three years with the option to buy shares at a 20% discount – or simply take your savings back.
Invest between £10 and £180 each month from your gross salary to buy M&S shares and build up an investment.
Enjoy savings on everyday costs to holidays, recognise your colleague’s success and get more information and support on your wellbeing & benefits.
Cycle to Work
Hire a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest free financing directly from your salary.
Health & Wellbeing
Save money on you and your families medical and dental expenses. Get great discounts on gym memberships, active wear, and health products.
Mental Health Support
Free 24/7 support from our expert health and wellbeing partners PAM Wellbeing - including free counselling and CBT as well as support for your family.
Support charities you care about the most by donating through your pay or even volunteer for them for one day.
Access to information and support to help you manage your finances from long term savings to managing your debt or money worries.
Celebration time provides additional time off (up to one day per year) for a special occasion.
Virtual GP service
Free and unlimited access to a qualified GP for all UK colleagues and their families.
Senior Technical Programme Manager - International
As an experienced Senior Technical Program Manager (TPM) you will drive the execution of product solutions across multiple domains within M&S. You will successfully be responsible for the various stages of the product development life-cycle or programme of work, acting as an equal partner with our Engineering and Product teams and leaders to deliver solutions that contribute and help balance, coordinate and supervise cross-functional dependencies while ensuring the overall delivery remains smooth and efficient!
This will require a hands-on approach, combined with strong technical foresight and excellent partner management, to drive engagement and measures such as OKRs, building strong, trust-based partnerships with colleagues and suppliers. We drive collaborations between product functions to deliver shared goals providing inspiration, support and mentoring when required operating as a servant leader. A key attribute will be to empower others to foster a demeanour of continuous improvement across people, process and technology to enhance the delivery and flow of value.
You will play a key role in shaping the Technical Program Management subject area to help bring about an innovative, continuous improvement culture that allows M&S products to be built at scale with high agility. As a leader you will drive, coach and support the continuous maturity of the Technical Programme Management Community!International context
The mission of the international business is to ‘sell M&S to the world’, and we currently trade in over 60 markets, with ~500 stores. We sell online in over 100 countries and are present on several significant marketplaces. International predominantly operates a partner-led model, with amazing franchise owners who are passionate about the M&S brand. We have ambitious plans, especially focussed on digital channels.
As a Senior Technical Program manager with experience of project and product development you will combine your business knowledge with technical expertise to drive product innovation, removing ambiguity and promoting an ‘own it and get it done’ demeanour.Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities
The Senior Technical Program Manager (TPM) is the glue of engineering, product and business strategies working across the domains performing various functions whether that be within the product organisation or managing cross-functional Programs of work. You will utilise your technical expertise in handling constraints, improving quality or removing blockers within the development lifecycle.
The mission is to harness agile ways of working and embed our strategic ambitions to successfully deliver change at scale. The key to the success of this role is building positive, trusting relationships through consistent, on-time delivery of solutions and effective communication in-line with the M&S Way.
More specifically, the Senior TPM role is the embodiment of ‘own it and get it done’ with key responsibilities as follows:
- Lead sophisticated and multi-disciplinary initiatives/Programs of work within a Product led organisation to deliver innovative product solutions
- Closely supervise and manage Product/Program execution progress to deliver planned outcomes, through sync up events providing visibility and transparency on progress through appropriate cadence and tools
- Create roadmaps and OKRs with Product Manager(s) and engineering teams to ensure alignment to strategic ambitions for M&S and driving a customer first mind-set in Tech
- Supervise and assure the technical development and release strategy, ensuring senior partners are informed and act as point of escalation for key risks and issues
- Drive proactive dependency management between Product functions or domains to confidently plan and deliver integrated solutions
- Implement strong quality assurance and continuous improvement processes to minimise risks to Program delivery
- Able to foresee potential risks and issues, facilitate discussion and handle partner concerns
- Responsible for the technology budget and driving value for money in the hardest working, most efficient way
- Drive the successful adoption of DevOps supporting in the triage and resolution of major incidents and collaborating with Engineering and Product to ensure operational success
- Work collaboratively with partners across business area(s) using deep and relevant technology experience to simplify sophisticated technology issues
- Build trusted relationships with and effectively manage contractual obligations with vendors and other external customers to ensure successful delivery of outcomes
- Proactively evaluate industry, technology and delivery trends to use external findings and drive improvements internally
- Interact with and contribute to the rest of the TPM Community to share lessons learnt and drive consistency across the organisation
- Actively contribute to learn and grow within the TPM Community
- Job knowledge – specialist skills, experiences, qualifications, specific systems or practices relevant to the role, the latest function specific knowledge
- Business knowledge – level of commercial awareness, economic, commercial, political experience, industry specific knowledge to differentiate M&S from competitors
- Problem solving – analytical skills, ability to advise, lead and deliver solutions that go beyond existing ways of doing things
- People & Leadership skills – communications, leadership and talent development skills.
- Extensive experience of Software development or Technical Product/Program Management
- Excellent interpersonal skills, proactive can do demeanour and ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non‐technical individuals
- Experience delivering large-scale initiatives across multiple teams and functions
- Strong solid understanding/experience of Agile/Scaled Agile practices including Scrum, Kanban and DevOps
- Highly diligent professional with excellent leadership and coaching skills in lean agile practices
- Experience in defining and handling key achievements and outcome led Product/Program delivery
- Strong financial and commercial foresight including experience of managing budgets and being responsible for contractual discussions
- Strong facilitation skills to articulate clear outputs, drive teams or individuals towards specific desirable outcomes
- Experience in multiple Agile Project/Portfolio Management tools e.g. Jira/JiraAlign/Rally
- Experience using facilitation techniques, Design Thinking techniques, coaching and learning frameworks
- Experience of engineering practices like BDD, XP and Agile Testing, Continuous Integration and Continuous delivery
- Prior experience working in the Retail Industry
- Bachelor’s degree
- Project Management, Agile or Scaled Agile certification
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact. We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk flexible working. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process. If you consider yourself to have a disability or learning difficulty which means you are unable to complete the application process online, please get in touch either by phone on 0345 300 3725 or by email email@example.com so we can make alternative arrangements for you.
Similar roles for you
- Senior Software Engineer London, UK Regular
- Lead Software Engineer London, UK Regular
- Software Engineer London, UK Regular
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More