Senior Finance Manager
Fully woven into the DNA of M&S, our Finance team plays a key role in setting the pace for our key business decisions, shaping our budgets, analysing our sales, managing costs and making sure our most vital statistics and data are absolutely accurate.
With a focus on adding value to all business areas by helping them make data-driven decisions and understand what is driving commercial performance – it’s our job to make sure the right tools, processes, governance and ways of working are in place to support this.
It is an exciting time to join the M&S Property Finance team! Delivering a store estate that is fit for the future is one of the key strategic pillars of the business transformation.
Within this, the Asset Management initiatives are a significant component in unlocking value to self-fund estate actions and providing a modernised retail environment, so business partnering with the Director of Asset Management will be key in ensuring financial evaluations are robust and business cases are well considered.
You will also co-ordinate with other teams within M&S, including, Store Estate, Property Legal, Group Tax, Group Treasury, Investor Relations, Retail and Finance. The role ensures that asset management projects are financially efficient and that changes in the property estate are consistently reflected in financial forecasts and budgets across the group. You will be owning and delivering ad hoc strategic property projects, working closely with subject matter specialists, both internally and externally.
About The Role
What you will be doing:
- Owning end-to-end financial business cases for all asset management schemes
- Preparing business case papers ready for sign off at Property Committee and/or Group PLC Board level.
- Working closely with Property Financial Control team, providing regular updates to ensure accounting for asset management is accurate.
- Supporting the budget, forecasting and plan processes, being responsible for the asset management numbers and ensure the consequences for the strategy are fully evaluated and accurately reflected in the Group’s reporting and plans.
- Communicating the financial impacts of the asset management programme to internal partners, such as, Property Finance, Group Treasury, Group Tax, Investor Relations and senior management.
- Developing robust governance and reporting on project spend and lead indicators on progress of programme.
- Providing ad hoc support for wider property appraisals including closures, openings, and disposals.
Skills you will need:
- A qualified accountant with post qualified experience
- Have a commercial awareness and curiosity with a strong interest in retail
- Ability to influence both finance and non-finance colleagues at senior level, including ability to present sophisticated information clearly and simply
- Strong organisation skills and flexible approach
- Excellent analytical skills, including extensive investment evaluation experience and building of evaluation models
- Collaborative approach, with a natural style that builds strong connections with finance colleagues across all business divisions
- Clear communication and simplified reporting of department activities
- An excellent teammate but also happy to work independently on own initiative
- Will constructively challenge the ways things are and an ability to handle change
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact. We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk smart/flexible working. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More
Angela joined us from the BBC where she worked as a Researcher. But her move to Analytics at M&S saw her announced as one of 2019’s Women in Data.View more