Product Industrial Placement 2022
What we look for
If you’re all about finding ways to be innovative, ethical, and sustainable, you’ve already got the makings of an M&S Legend of Tomorrow. What you need now is the launchpad to bring your ideas to life. That’s what you’ll find right here. We’re always looking for curious, analytical, adaptable, and proactive students who care about what comes next – as passionate about reimagining retail for good, as they are about carving out their own career.
Why I chose M&S
I re-joined the business for the BBP Food Technology Placement year after completing the Food Technology Internship within the confectionary category the year before (I couldn’t get enough!). The scheme was well-rounded, giving me exposure to both retail and manufacturing, as well as all key roles within the food industry. I spent six months working for M&S in the roast poultry category, leading a project trialling exciting new food processing technology with a manufacturer in Germany. The second half of the placement was with one of our seafood manufacturers in Scotland, which was also really diverse, from spending days on Scottish lochs with our fish farms, to our primary and secondary processing facilities. I have now re-joined the business again as a Food Technology graduate in the prepared produce category and no day is ever the same!
Alice, Graduate and former Business Placement Colleague
What we offer
Want to get ahead of tomorrow? Over 12 months with us, you’ll discover opportunities to disrupt what we’ve always done and influence what we’re doing next. From food to fashion and software design to data, we’ll give you room to make your mark and make the future your playground. By empowering you to be exactly who you are, you’ll carve out a career as a retail legend. Creating a career legacy you’re proud of. If you’re looking to build real skills and grow your career, an M&S business placement is the chance to make things happen.
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a partner or family member.
A minimum 28 days’ statutory holiday per year, pro-rata if you’re part time.
You can reduce your salary in exchange for up to one contractual week of additional holiday, subject to eligibility and National Living Wage requirements.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on the role that you do and the performance of our business.
If you save 3% of your pay into our Pension Saving Plan we will add an extra 6%. More details at www.yourmandspension.com
Free cover of two times your annual salary up to age 70. If you pay into our Pension Saving Plan we double this to four times.
Allows you to save between £5 and £250 per month for three years with the option to buy shares at a 20% discount – or simply take your savings back.
Invest between £10 and £180 each month from your gross salary to buy M&S shares and build up an investment.
Enjoy savings on everyday costs to holidays, recognise your colleague’s success and get more information and support on your wellbeing & benefits.
Cycle to Work
Hire a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest free financing directly from your salary.
Health & Wellbeing
Save money on you and your families medical and dental expenses. Get great discounts on gym memberships, active wear, and health products.
Mental Health Support
Free 24/7 support from our expert health and wellbeing partners PAM Wellbeing - including free counselling and CBT as well as support for your family.
Support charities you care about the most by donating through your pay or even volunteer for them for one day.
Access to information and support to help you manage your finances from long term savings to managing your debt or money worries.
Celebration time provides additional time off (up to one day per year) for a special occasion.
Product Industrial Placement 2022
Want to build yourself a legacy you’ll always be proud of? Our most innovative training programme yet is your chance to do just that. Intentionally designed to help you shape the fast-moving world of retail and e-commerce, it’s a masterclass in practical product training, structured mentorship, and 360-feedback.
Spanning 12 months, you’ll rotate around our business and different product teams learning new skills and gaining new experiences. It’s all about giving you exposure to a variety of projects and the talented people driving them – so you come to realise that there’s infinite ways to progress your career in M&S. If you’re ready to become an M&S Legend of Tomorrow, it’s time to begin.
Take your place in our Digital & Data team and you’ll find everything you need to kick off your career in Product and begin shaping the world of retail – your way. From access to in-house development programmes, working closely with seasoned product managers, designers, developers, data scientists and subject matter experts on variety of problem spaces and product areas, to external product courses that’ll help you become an expert in your field, this is a springboard on to big things.
Working in Product
You’ll join a squad focused on delivering the best customer experiences across Personalisation, Banking, Apps, Web and Sparks. Acting as the voice of the customer, you’ll leverage insight to identify, test and optimise a variety of possible features and solutions to best reinforce the M&S value proposition and turbocharge Digital at M&S.
What skills will you develop?
- You’ll learn how to frame and lead discovery, defining the problem space and hypotheses around how to solve for your user problem
- You’ll collaborate with the team in validation, building analytical skills in feasibility, usability, determining value and business viability.
- You’ll build a product mindset as you work to establish OKRs and build a product strategy to deliver results.
- You’ll learn how define and deliver a product and gain experience in the tasks involved: how to move from Discovery through to a prioritised roadmap; how to document requirements and facilitate delivery; how to analyse performance of and then optimise a product
- We’ll build on your communication skills so that you’ll be able to engage and influence stakeholders at all levels within the company
- .A keen and demonstrable interest in product, data, technology and retail, either via relevant qualifications, experience or self-directed learning.
- A self-starter who identifies opportunity, is passionate about solving problems, encourages new ideas and brings people together to drive improvements and change.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and an ability to build relationships
- Curious and analytical, with a user-centric approach and a mindset of continuous improvement.
- A collaborative team player: listens actively and is able to analyse and consolidate multiple opinions and insight to optimise value delivery.
Nice to have
- Experience or knowledge of retail, product management, product design, data and analytics
Become an M&S Legend of Tomorrow. Apply today.
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More