Lead Software Engineer - Salesforce Commerce Cloud
Advance the world of digital through M&S
Leading the transformation of an industry. The continuous pursuit of new information, resourcefulness and invention. Thousands, if not millions of people benefiting from your product-led ideas, every day. That’s why you join M&S Tech. Here, you’ll be proud of your projects, enhance your understanding of new technologies, and shape the future of a new, digitally prevailing brand of retail. Progress isn’t in the pipeline, it’s already happening. And we’re as determined to advance technology through M&S, as we are to advance M&S through technology. Want to help us?
It’s a mindset, a special drive and an enthusiasm that says, ‘We can’t wait to solve this problem’. It’s growing closer as a team through deep discussions about the technologies we love, whether next-gen or old classics. Most of all, it’s wanting to share that excitement with our customers and colleagues – reinventing retail into its most innovative form, then unlocking fresh potential and raising the bar yet again.Explore M&OS
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a partner or family member.
A minimum 28 days’ statutory holiday per year, pro-rata if you’re part time.
You can reduce your salary in exchange for up to one contractual week of additional holiday, subject to eligibility and National Living Wage requirements.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on the role that you do and the performance of our business.
If you save 3% of your pay into our Pension Saving Plan we will add an extra 6%. More details at www.yourmandspension.com
Free cover of two times your annual salary up to age 70. If you pay into our Pension Saving Plan we double this to four times.
Allows you to save between £5 and £250 per month for three years with the option to buy shares at a 20% discount – or simply take your savings back.
Invest between £10 and £180 each month from your gross salary to buy M&S shares and build up an investment.
Enjoy savings on everyday costs to holidays, recognise your colleague’s success and get more information and support on your wellbeing & benefits.
Cycle to Work
Hire a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest free financing directly from your salary.
Health & Wellbeing
Save money on you and your families medical and dental expenses. Get great discounts on gym memberships, active wear, and health products.
Mental Health Support
Free 24/7 support from our expert health and wellbeing partners PAM Wellbeing - including free counselling and CBT as well as support for your family.
Support charities you care about the most by donating through your pay or even volunteer for them for one day.
Access to information and support to help you manage your finances from long term savings to managing your debt or money worries.
Celebration time provides additional time off (up to one day per year) for a special occasion.
Virtual GP service
Free and unlimited access to a qualified GP for all UK colleagues and their families.
Lead Software Engineer - Salesforce Commerce Cloud
A role within M&S Software Engineering means you’ll be joining a well-loved historic brand, working on a digital platform where we serve millions of committed customers and thousands of colleagues!
With ethical values that run right through the company’s core and technology leaders that truly understand software engineers and engineering, it’s an exciting time as we are redefining into a digital first and engineering-led organisation, with the quality of our engineering team being a key differentiator and second to none.
M&S Software Engineering is a friendly, hardworking and low ego team, where everyone has a voice and is encouraged to contribute ideas and talk straight. There is an opportunity to learn and grow, take true ownership, influence our technology and transformation and help us seek exciting problems for our customers and colleagues!
We pride ourselves on being a company that puts engineering first and are looking for people to join our community of engineers to build modern features using exciting technologies, participate in our hackathons and do the best work of their careers.International
In International, we sell M&S to the rest of the world, operating in over 60 markets, with almost 500 stores and 50 websites via a Salesforce Cloud Commerce (SFCC) platform. This role would see an individual joining the International product group, working as part of a community that consists of three multi-functional squads.Key responsibilities
- Produce build high-quality, reliable software and own it with a high degree of automation in the cloud
- Own tasks in the backlog and deliver them routinely with no significant issues
- Progress work consistently without significant need for support from more senior colleagues
- Seek problems collaboratively; communicates decisions through tech-talks and white-boarding sessions
- Produce clean, quality code through code reviews and pair programming
- Engage with product colleagues to improve value for the customer
- Approach and contribute to product planning and roadmap with an agile demeanour
- Demonstrate pragmatism in terms of commercial delivery and software quality
- Support the technical platform out of hours as a member of the support rota
As a team, we work closely with other Software Engineers and Product Managers to collaboratively tackle problems. There will be day-to-day interactions with Scrum Masters, who you’ll work with to constantly evolve your team’s ways of working. Depending on your team, you could also interact with other specialists such as Data Scientists, UX/UI Designers and analytics specialists.
As a member of M&S Software Engineering, you’ll also have the opportunity to work with and learn from other engineers and specialists in the organisation via our teams (Squads), sets of squads (Tribes), communities of practices (Fellowships), strategic assemblies (Orchestras) or special interest groups (Guilds).How you will measure success
- Consistently delivering high-quality reliable software
- Always demonstrating the company’s ‘M&S Way’ values
- Completion of personal development plans and objectives
- Positive feedback from colleagues
- Engagement with and contribution to Fellowships and Orchestras
- 5+ years of professional experience.
- proven experience with Salesforce Commerce Cloud (Formerly Demand ware).
- Experienced engineering skills with good experience of SFRA and Controller based architecture and pipelines-based architecture experience would be good to have.
- Good experience in integrating with third party applications and interfaces.
- Experience with one or more Java concepts and patterns including: Java/J2EE, JSP, Spring, MVC, Eclipse.
- Experience with multiple source control systems: SVN, Git, Bitbucket and collaboration with JIRA, Confluence, Teams.
- Design, code, unit test, and code review iterative improvements to platform.
- Proficiency in core e-commerce functionalities and platform specific customization and areas to improve site speed.
- Understanding of platform specific architecture.
- Proficient in developing web applications for the relevant focus (Front-End or Back-End) and platform (i.e., Salesforce Commerce Cloud (SFCC).
- Experience with full life cycle implementation experience using various SDLC methodologies and prominently with agile development methodology.
- Experience with web application design and analysis, design patterns, and object-oriented design.
- Applicable SFCC certification.
Mission Critical Experiences
- Experience in the majority of the area tech stack
- Proficiency with distributed version controls systems like Git
- Experience with TDD, BDD and unit testing
- Knowledge of integration testing and system testing
- Understanding of DevOps: you build it, you run it
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Experience with cloud engineering, but platform agnostic
- Experience with containerisation like. Kubernetes and Docker
- A healthy thirst for learning and knowledge
- Ability to work well with others in multi-functional teams
- A passion for all aspects of software engineering
- Ability to provide constructive feedback to team members
- Humbleness, humility and integrity
- Cares about the business and the bigger picture
- Delivery focused and takes pride in being timely, and delivering a quality product
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact. We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk smart/flexible working. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process. If you consider yourself to have a disability or learning difficulty which means you are unable to complete the application process online, please get in touch either by phone on 0345 300 3725 or by email email@example.com so we can make alternative arrangements for you.
Similar roles for you
- Senior Software Engineer London, UK Permanent
- Lead Software Engineer London, UK Permanent
- Software Engineer London, UK Permanent
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More