Head of Product - In-Store Selling & Service
Advance the world of digital through M&S
Leading the transformation of an industry. The continuous pursuit of new information, resourcefulness and invention. Thousands, if not millions of people benefiting from your product-led ideas, every day. That’s why you join M&S Tech. Here, you’ll be proud of your projects, enhance your understanding of new technologies, and shape the future of a new, digitally prevailing brand of retail. Progress isn’t in the pipeline, it’s already happening. And we’re as determined to advance technology through M&S, as we are to advance M&S through technology. Want to help us?
It’s a mindset, a special drive and an enthusiasm that says, ‘We can’t wait to solve this problem’. It’s growing closer as a team through deep discussions about the technologies we love, whether next-gen or old classics. Most of all, it’s wanting to share that excitement with our customers and colleagues – reinventing retail into its most innovative form, then unlocking fresh potential and raising the bar yet again.Explore M&OS
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a partner or family member.
A minimum 28 days’ statutory holiday per year, pro-rata if you’re part time.
You can reduce your salary in exchange for up to one contractual week of additional holiday, subject to eligibility and National Living Wage requirements.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on the role that you do and the performance of our business.
If you save 3% of your pay into our Pension Saving Plan we will add an extra 6%. More details at www.yourmandspension.com
Free cover of two times your annual salary up to age 70. If you pay into our Pension Saving Plan we double this to four times.
Allows you to save between £5 and £250 per month for three years with the option to buy shares at a 20% discount – or simply take your savings back.
Invest between £10 and £180 each month from your gross salary to buy M&S shares and build up an investment.
Enjoy savings on everyday costs to holidays, recognise your colleague’s success and get more information and support on your wellbeing & benefits.
Cycle to Work
Hire a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest free financing directly from your salary.
Health & Wellbeing
Save money on you and your families medical and dental expenses. Get great discounts on gym memberships, active wear, and health products.
Mental Health Support
Free 24/7 support from our expert health and wellbeing partners PAM Wellbeing - including free counselling and CBT as well as support for your family.
Support charities you care about the most by donating through your pay or even volunteer for them for one day.
Access to information and support to help you manage your finances from long term savings to managing your debt or money worries.
Celebration time provides additional time off (up to one day per year) for a special occasion.
Virtual GP service
Free and unlimited access to a qualified GP for all UK colleagues and their families.
Head of Product - In-Store Selling & Service
The Head of Product will own the Product Management function to be passionate about building products that customers love, advising the function from design and build through to launch and maintenance!
Within the role, we need an individual that we can trust who will act as the ‘voice of the customer’ where the customer includes our store colleagues as well as M&S customers. Leading at the intersection of design, technology and business and be the primary driver of the groups/domain vision supervising the development and management of the Product roadmaps based on the business strategy. You will be prioritising work to improve customer and business value and work as an equal partner alongside our Delivery Leaders, ensuring that we measure and drive the success of the domain products. You will be defining and supervising success measures, balancing short term goals with longer term objectives and make data driven decisions on whether to adjust, refine or pivot.
We are looking for a professional who is able to act as a domain specialist supervising the innovation and improvement of the products, analysing market and driven conditions. The Head of Product will be utilising their experience to set a product vision that differentiates and delivers unique value based on customer demands.
You will assist in delivering and shaping the Product Management field to help bring about an innovative, product-led culture that allows M&S products to be built at scale with high agility and as a leader, drive, coach and support the continuous maturity of our Product Community.
You will lead a portfolio of Products across in-store customer Self Service (including self-checkout tilling), Assisted Service (including Point of Sale) and Digital Customer Services, giving strategic direction and support to the Product Owners who look after these products for you. We are looking for someone who will be responsible for the strategic direction for the Product Group with the purpose of delighting customers in store and helping colleagues sell and give great service in an efficient way. You will play a key role in helping shape the future shopping experience of our customers and how we use technology to transform in-store experience!Key accountabilities & responsibilities
The Head of Product will shape the vision to drive business outcomes and priorities across the multiple products in-store selling and service domain by providing strategic insights considering customer needs, competitive landscape, and industry trends. The mission is to collaborate closely with many fields across the business to design and deliver desirable resilient solutions to our customers and stores. More specifically, the role is the embodiment of 'All in for the customer' with key responsibilities as follows:
- Leadership of multiple sophisticated and impactful product(s) and teams with a high level of autonomy that delivers significant measurable value.
- Lead, coach and develop the product owners/ managers in your domain enabling them to be empowered and operate with autonomy to deliver agreed value and outcomes.
- Understand the rationale behind competitors’ strategies through sophisticated market analysis identifying the key differentiators to ensure M&S is best in class.
- Facilitate ideation across your partners creating the long-term strategic vision of the instore selling and service product group with defined OKRs. Make decisions on which products to create, grow, maintain and stop.
- Collaborate closely with senior partners aligning business, product and technical priorities to set the in-store selling and service product group direction and evangelise the product roadmap to senior partners
- Create complex business cases or lean canvas as required that include market analysis, costs and business/user benefit to ensure the right product development is prioritised
- Promote efficiency in delivering value both internally and externally through the team’s management of the product lifecycle ensuring success measures are defined, tracked and communicated
- Lead teams to efficiently adopt DevOps, being responsible for the triage and resolution of major incidents where required and collaborating with Engineering and Technical Programme Management to ensure operational success.
- Accountable for defining and being responsible for the launch readiness collaborating closely with all parties to ensure adoption
- Provide leadership and direction to cross functional teams and drive a strong product management function that puts innovation and customer at the heart of what we do
- Lead with authenticity and empathy to continually inspire and create robust teams, operating as a mentor and coach within the Product Management Community
- Establish an agile approach to product within the organisation, creating a “product-led” environment, culture, and ways of working
- Serve as an internal evangelist for the Product Management function and as external spokesperson for the organisation
- Line Manager to an existing highly motivated and driven team of Product Owners/Managers, ensuring that the functions of these positions are properly and reliably being executed, encouraging collaborate 360 feedback interactions from the community, partners & team.
- Extensive experience in product management, demonstrating successful development and delivery of product strategies - roadmaps through to product launch and optimisation across a range of highly complex and important products
- Extensive experience and passion for the relevant product area and a deep understanding of the customer and user experience design
- Experience of running successful Product delivery in an Agile software environment to deliver customer-led outcomes
- Proven ability to engage with cross functional teams in a constructive and collaborative relationship to align and execute product strategies
- Experience and the ability to demonstrate improvement of Product Health and performance through key SLA’s e.g. Platform Availability, Usage Metrics, Performance Metrics and Scale metrics.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to resolve issues in the product strategies to meet the financial, strategic and technical goals
- Financial acuity to demonstrate the products value
- Excellent Leadership and communication skills including working with senior business leaders
- Store / physical retail experience, ideally focussed around selling to customers and providing great service
- Strong leadership skills, experience of leading distributed teams including working with 3rd party and offshore teams
- Proven understanding of defining and driving OKR’s in an Enterprise environment
- Ecommerce / omnichannel product management experience
- Point of Sale (POS), self-checkout (SCO) tills and digital selling tools development
- Experience transitioning teams from waterfall or other methods to Agile and the associated wider business culture change
- Bachelor’s degree
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact. We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk smart/flexible working. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process. If you consider yourself to have a disability or learning difficulty which means you are unable to complete the application process online, please get in touch either by phone on 0345 300 3725 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can make alternative arrangements for you.
Similar roles for you
- Software Development Manager London, UK Regular
- Software Development Manager - Salesforce Commerce Cloud London, UK Regular
- Technology Strategy & Transformation Manager London, UK Regular
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More