Finance Analyst – Logistics Transformation
M&S is undergoing a period of strategic transformation, focusing on key initiatives such as modernising our end-to-end supply chain, growing M&S Online and developing our store estate. We are looking for an experienced Finance Analyst to join our Finance Team, based in Castle Donington.
Castle Donington is our warehouse distribution from our online site, and one of the biggest automated garment sites in the UK, moving close to 100 million units per annum. Volumes are expected to increase further, making this role crucial to executing online growth and cost management crucial in post Covid world.
Reporting to the Transformation/Network Finance Manager, you will be responsible for supporting the delivery of the ongoing Clothing & Home(C&H) logistics 3-year benefits target.
The role will give Financial support to the UK C&H network development programme (network development and implementation teams), in developing robust investment cases and producing accurate and insightful programme finance reporting. They will drive delivery of investment cases against approved financial metrics and ensure adherence to M&S corporate governance.
The role will also own the monthly reporting of the transformation through adjusting items and capex submissions and variance analysis.
About the role
Your key responsibilities will include:
Business case proposals
- Building strong relationships with key business partners within the Network development / Implementation teams as well as relevant stakeholders within the Finance Group (Retail/Property)
- Developing a detailed understanding of the network, to be able to credibly present and debate investment cases for change
- Owning project / programme finances, through business case inception and development through to approval, offering robust challenge to ensure stretching but deliverable investment cases are presented for signoff
- Following approval, ensuring costs are tracked and do not exceed approved levels. Includes regular review and reporting of status to team / Head of Finance / other stakeholders and owning change request process for budget
- Directly responsible for completion of benefits tracking and finance elements of project PIRs to ensure adherence to governance cycle and any learnings feed into future projects
- Directly responsible for the management of month end adjusted items which includes posting of journals/accruals
Periodic Forecasting and Reporting
- Ownership for Cost Saving Initiatives – coordinating month end process including month end BOARD submission, variance to budget commentary, challenging team where necessary
- Ownership for Capex and Adjusting Items submissions and commentary to Group Finance, ensuring adherence to Audit requests (Including fixed assets and Depreciation)
- Maintaining and developing financial controls to ensure continued compliance to M&S financial policies and procedures including Group investment policy and Accounting Manual
- Identifying and communicating risks and opportunities within the business on a continuous basis
Your skills and experience will include:
- A strong commercial awareness
- Able to work closely with and influence non Finance individuals
- Can provide credible support to non financial managers within the business
- A qualified Accountant, able to translate operational activity into financial impact
- Good IT knowledge and literacy
- A team player but also happy to work independently on own initiative
- Willingness to challenge the status quo with an ability to manage change
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More
Angela joined us from the BBC where she worked as a Researcher. But her move to Analytics at M&S saw her announced as one of 2019’s Women in Data.View more