Product Internship 2022
What we look for
You’re a future thinker. You care about doing things ethically, sustainably, and innovatively. You also want a proper taste of life at a digitally enabled business that’s changing the retail industry for the better. If that’s you, our internship is where you’ll discover a whole range of professional paths you can take pride in. It’s an opportunity for you to show us curiosity, adaptability, proactivity and focus, and a chance for us to show you how you can use what you’ve got to build a better future. For everyone.
Why I chose M&S
Starting my M&S journey as a Merchandising Intern was a brilliant way for me to acquire the skills, I needed to accelerate my career. I learned key merchandising skills through on-the-job training, gained knowledge of systems and processes, and discovered networking opportunities that provided me with the springboard I’d need to return as a Merchandising Graduate.
Jemima, Merchandising Graduate and former Intern
What we offer
As an M&S Intern, tomorrow starts today. As you build an understanding of life inside the fast-paced world of retail, you’ll develop the skills you need to become a legendary leader who can take the industry forward. In just a few short weeks, we’ll show you how we’re transforming our business, making it quicker and slicker for customers everywhere – and we’ll challenge you to show us how you’d do things differently.
Openness. Innovation. Ambition. That’s what you’ll find here – whether you join us in a generalist role giving exposure across the business, or in food tech. It’s your time to experience where a career with us could take you and learn that it’s never too early to be the change you want to see in the world.
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a partner or family member.
A minimum 28 days’ statutory holiday per year, pro-rata if you’re part time.
You can reduce your salary in exchange for up to one contractual week of additional holiday, subject to eligibility and National Living Wage requirements.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on the role that you do and the performance of our business.
If you save 3% of your pay into our Pension Saving Plan we will add an extra 6%. More details at www.yourmandspension.com
Free cover of two times your annual salary up to age 70. If you pay into our Pension Saving Plan we double this to four times.
Allows you to save between £5 and £250 per month for three years with the option to buy shares at a 20% discount – or simply take your savings back.
Invest between £10 and £180 each month from your gross salary to buy M&S shares and build up an investment.
Enjoy savings on everyday costs to holidays, recognise your colleague’s success and get more information and support on your wellbeing & benefits.
Cycle to Work
Hire a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest free financing directly from your salary.
Health & Wellbeing
Save money on you and your families medical and dental expenses. Get great discounts on gym memberships, active wear, and health products.
Mental Health Support
Free 24/7 support from our expert health and wellbeing partners PAM Wellbeing - including free counselling and CBT as well as support for your family.
Support charities you care about the most by donating through your pay or even volunteer for them for one day.
Access to information and support to help you manage your finances from long term savings to managing your debt or money worries.
Celebration time provides additional time off (up to one day per year) for a special occasion.
Product Internship 2022
Want to build yourself a legacy you’ll always be proud of? Our most innovative training programme yet is your chance to do just that. Intentionally designed to help you shape the fast-moving world of retail and e-commerce, it’s a masterclass in practical product training, structured mentorship, and 360-feedback. Spanning 8 – 10 weeks, you’ll rotate around our business and different data science teams up to four times – each time learning new skills and gaining new experiences. It’s all about giving you exposure to a variety of projects and the talented people driving them – so you come to realise that there’s infinite ways to progress your career in M&S. If you’re ready to become an M&S Legend of Tomorrow, it’s time to begin.
Take your place in our Digital & Data team and you’ll find everything you need to kick off your career in Product and begin shaping the world of retail – your way. From access to in-house development programmes, working closely with seasoned product managers, designers, developers, data scientists and subject matter experts on variety of problem spaces and product areas, to external product courses that’ll help you become an expert in your field, this is a springboard on to big things.
Working in Data Products
You’ll join a squad designing, engineering and delivering the sophisticated machine learning models that help our colleagues to make better decisions in Clothing & Home Planning, Buying and Pricing, or in Retail Operations. Working as part of this team you’ll be a driving and powerful force behind the goal to ensure that data is at the heart of decisions in our award-winning business.
Working in Digital Product
You’ll join a squad focused on delivering the best customer experiences across Personalisation, Banking, Apps, Web and Sparks. Acting as the voice of the customer, you’ll leverage insight to identify, test and optimise a variety of possible features and solutions to best reinforce the M&S value proposition and turbocharge Digital at M&S.
What skills will you develop?
- You’ll learn how to frame and lead discovery, defining the problem space and hypotheses around how to solve for your user problem
- You’ll collaborate with the team in validation, building analytical skills in feasibility, usability, determining value and business viability.
- You’ll build a product mindset as you work to establish OKRs and build a product strategy to deliver results.
- You’ll learn how define and deliver a product and gain experience in the tasks involved: how to move from Discovery through to a prioritised roadmap; how to document requirements and facilitate delivery; how to analyse performance of and then optimise a product
- We’ll build on your communication skills so that you’ll be able to engage and influence stakeholders at all levels within the company
- .A keen and demonstrable interest in product, data, technology and retail, either via relevant qualifications, experience or self-directed learning.
- A self-starter who identifies opportunity, is passionate about solving problems, encourages new ideas and brings people together to drive improvements and change.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and an ability to build relationships
- Curious and analytical, with a user-centric approach and a mindset of continuous improvement.
- A collaborative team player: listens actively and is able to analyse and consolidate multiple opinions and insight to optimise value delivery.
Nice to have
- Experience or knowledge of retail, product management, product design, data and analytics
Become an M&S Legend of Tomorrow. Apply today.
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More