Lead Full-Stack Engineer
Advance the world of digital through M&S
Leading the transformation of an industry. The continuous pursuit of new information, resourcefulness and invention. Thousands, if not millions of people benefiting from your product-led ideas, every day. That’s why you join M&S Tech. Here, you’ll be proud of your projects, enhance your understanding of new technologies, and shape the future of a new, digitally prevailing brand of retail. Progress isn’t in the pipeline, it’s already happening. And we’re as determined to advance technology through M&S, as we are to advance M&S through technology. Want to help us?
It’s a mindset, a special drive and an enthusiasm that says, ‘We can’t wait to solve this problem’. It’s growing closer as a team through deep discussions about the technologies we love, whether next-gen or old classics. Most of all, it’s wanting to share that excitement with our customers and colleagues – reinventing retail into its most innovative form, then unlocking fresh potential and raising the bar yet again.Explore M&OS
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a partner or family member.
A minimum 28 days’ statutory holiday per year, pro-rata if you’re part time.
You can reduce your salary in exchange for up to one contractual week of additional holiday, subject to eligibility and National Living Wage requirements.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on the role that you do and the performance of our business.
If you save 3% of your pay into our Pension Saving Plan we will add an extra 6%. More details at www.yourmandspension.com
Free cover of two times your annual salary up to age 70. If you pay into our Pension Saving Plan we double this to four times.
Allows you to save between £5 and £250 per month for three years with the option to buy shares at a 20% discount – or simply take your savings back.
Invest between £10 and £180 each month from your gross salary to buy M&S shares and build up an investment.
Enjoy savings on everyday costs to holidays, recognise your colleague’s success and get more information and support on your wellbeing & benefits.
Cycle to Work
Hire a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest free financing directly from your salary.
Health & Wellbeing
Save money on you and your families medical and dental expenses. Get great discounts on gym memberships, active wear, and health products.
Mental Health Support
Free 24/7 support from our expert health and wellbeing partners PAM Wellbeing - including free counselling and CBT as well as support for your family.
Support charities you care about the most by donating through your pay or even volunteer for them for one day.
Access to information and support to help you manage your finances from long term savings to managing your debt or money worries.
Celebration time provides additional time off (up to one day per year) for a special occasion.
Virtual GP service
Free and unlimited access to a qualified GP for all UK colleagues and their families.
Lead Full-Stack Engineer
We are looking for passionate Lead Software Development Engineers to help craft, develop and deploy software for our solutions.
The successful candidate will be able to build high-quality, innovative and fully performant software in compliance with the best practise coding standards and technical design. Help to drive better working practices and become a valued member of the engineering department.Key accountabilities and measures
- Collaboratively solves problems; communicates technical decisions through tech-talks and white-boarding sessions
- Learns quickly and makes steady progress without the need for significant feedback from more senior engineers
- Inducts new team members; provides coaching and mentoring to other engineers
- Shows engagement when architecting and developing new software
- Shows engagement with the wider engineering community. Hosts Dojo’s lunch and learn sessions and is seen as someone who interacts with the wider engineering community.
- Helps other specialists to produce clean, quality code through strong engagement in code reviews and pair programming
- Takes full ownership of the tasks in his/her backlog and is also beginning to show signs of taking accountability for the entire team’s backlog.
- Actively engages with the product teams to make the product better, and to understand ambiguous requirements
- To be seen as helpful, by both engineers and product
- Drives engineering conversations. Always speaks with confidence and is seen as an inspiring leader by the team
- Strong software design. Encouraged to know a wide array of software design patterns in depth, display a strong understanding of algorithms and data structures, and able to show multiple real-life examples of applications of this knowledge.
- Consults business partners on the best approach for delivering complicated features, both in how it can be split and sequenced, and in terms of potential improvement to the functional requirements
- Beginning to show signs of continuously mentoring less experience members of the team. Not just giving a hand here and there, but genuinely trying to upskill their peers.
- Senior developers help drive engineering sessions, and naturally put themselves forward for exciting tasks
- Knows when to challenge the team to be pragmatic.
- Experience building and delivering distributed web applications
- Experience with build automation tools (Webpack, nodemon)
- Strong experience with testing frameworks and libraries such as Jest, Mocha, Chai or Webdriver.io
- Experience working within a Continuous Delivery environment
- Experience working within an Agile environment such as Scrum or Kanban
- Experience with NodeJS
- Experienced working within a cloud environment, and is comfortable provisioning IaaS and PaaS services within such an environment
- Understanding of containerisation (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Familiarity with ES6 / CSS3 syntax's
- Ability to mentor and provide constructive feedback to the team
- Proficiency with TDD & BDD
- Good understanding of the good software design principles (e.g. OO, DRY, SOLID)
- Experience with full-stack development and DevOps
- Experience with distributed version controls systems like Git
- Experience with pair programming
- CI tools (Concourse, Jenkins)
- Understanding of Accessibility standard methodologies
- Experience with using templating engines (Handlebars)
- Experience with Express
- Experience working with Cloud base environments (Azure, Kubernetes, AWS)
- Good SEO knowledge
- Contributions towards open source software or coordinate or speak at software-related meetup groups
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact. We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process and we are happy to talk smart/flexible working.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Similar roles for you
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More