Finance and Trading Reporting Analyst
Business Support is a department within the Business Service Centre which specialises in the delivery of Weekly and Monthly Trading Reports to central and commercial finance teams across the M&S business. Working closely with stakeholders to maintain and develop efficient and effective reporting solutions, this role is critical to the success of the BSC and gives exposure and visibility across a large part of the business.
As a member of the Business Support team, the Finance Reporting Analyst is responsible for the maintenance and delivery of accurate and on time trading reports and the ongoing development of management information suites by exploiting a variety of data solutions. The role will require a focused and committed candidate with excellent attention to detail and a problem solving approach. The successful candidate will need to be flexible about working hours including early start times on Mondays (6am) and occasional travel to London
The analyst provides a key support function for the wider finance teams in London. You will work closely with the embedded finance teams to understand and interrogate relevant sales and costs and produce standardized and ad-hoc reports which will be published to a range of senior stakeholders. As a member of the reporting team you will have visibility of the company’s weekly, monthly and quarterly financial performance as you support the wider finance team with accurate and timely trading activities across the various business areas. In order to achieve this you will need to be able to effectively investigate the financial and commercial impacts of performance related measures while guaranteeing data integrity.
The business is becoming more data oriented and so are we. The wider availability of Data in Business Objects gives us access to better financial and non-financial performance measures and modern Excel functionality and Power BI allows us to create more in-depth, interactive reporting solutions. As a centralised reporting team we are in a unique position in that we are able to see multiple facets of the business and understand the logic behind data sources which generate their key information. We are looking to drive a fundamental change in the way that we manage our reporting activities and shift our focus from isolated reports to interactive solutions which can be used effectively across a wider range of stakeholders, by increasing our scope while substantially reducing the manual components of the reporting processes.
Your key accountabilities will include:
- Delivery of accurate and timely trading reports to the finance and commercial teams.
- Developing new reports using emerging technologies and utilising experience of automating reports and existing technologies to publish timely reports.
- Working directly with business stakeholders to drive improvement, streamlining and automation of reports
- Interrogating SAP transactions to understand the impact of various postings.
- Working with the wider finance team to support changing business requirements.
- Working with the SAP Support and Finance Systems teams to exploit MI reporting in SAP and Business Objects.
- Development of new reporting models and processes that serve the needs of the relevant business areas.
- Utilisation of Finance systems to drive control and process efficiency.
- Implementing and adhering to Service Level Agreements for all key outputs
Your skills and experience will include:
- Strong numerical and analytical skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Be able to demonstrate examples of report development using technology to streamline and automate
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong working relationships with key stakeholders.
- Advanced Excel skills, preferably including PowerPivot and Power BI.
- Experience in use of system reporting solutions such as SAP Business Objects, Power BI or similar.
- Experience of process improvement and system development.
- Strong accounting skills with previous experience interrogating and presenting management information reports (CIMA / ACCA part qualified or similar preferred but not essential)
- Experience interrogating GL transactional data in SAP (or other ERP systems).
This is a great opportunity to join a high performing team in our new offices in Salford Quays, Manchester.