Technology Strategy & Transformation Manager
Advance the world of digital through M&S
Leading the transformation of an industry. The continuous pursuit of new information, resourcefulness and invention. Thousands, if not millions of people benefiting from your product-led ideas, every day. That’s why you join M&S Tech. Here, you’ll be proud of your projects, enhance your understanding of new technologies, and shape the future of a new, digitally prevailing brand of retail. Progress isn’t in the pipeline, it’s already happening. And we’re as determined to advance technology through M&S, as we are to advance M&S through technology. Want to help us?
It’s a mindset, a special drive and an enthusiasm that says, ‘We can’t wait to solve this problem’. It’s growing closer as a team through deep discussions about the technologies we love, whether next-gen or old classics. Most of all, it’s wanting to share that excitement with our customers and colleagues – reinventing retail into its most innovative form, then unlocking fresh potential and raising the bar yet again.Explore M&OS
Our salaries are competitive and reviewed every year.
Receive 20% discount in-store and online for you and a partner or family member.
A minimum 28 days’ statutory holiday per year, pro-rata if you’re part time.
You can reduce your salary in exchange for up to one contractual week of additional holiday, subject to eligibility and National Living Wage requirements.
We have discretionary bonus schemes depending on the role that you do and the performance of our business.
If you save 3% of your pay into our Pension Saving Plan we will add an extra 6%. More details at www.yourmandspension.com
Free cover of two times your annual salary up to age 70. If you pay into our Pension Saving Plan we double this to four times.
Allows you to save between £5 and £250 per month for three years with the option to buy shares at a 20% discount – or simply take your savings back.
Invest between £10 and £180 each month from your gross salary to buy M&S shares and build up an investment.
Enjoy savings on everyday costs to holidays, recognise your colleague’s success and get more information and support on your wellbeing & benefits.
Cycle to Work
Hire a bike and accessories through Cycle to Work and save on tax and national insurance.
Buy the latest technology with interest free financing directly from your salary.
Health & Wellbeing
Save money on you and your families medical and dental expenses. Get great discounts on gym memberships, active wear, and health products.
Mental Health Support
Free 24/7 support from our expert health and wellbeing partners PAM Wellbeing - including free counselling and CBT as well as support for your family.
Support charities you care about the most by donating through your pay or even volunteer for them for one day.
Access to information and support to help you manage your finances from long term savings to managing your debt or money worries.
Celebration time provides additional time off (up to one day per year) for a special occasion.
Virtual GP service
Free and unlimited access to a qualified GP for all UK colleagues and their families.
Technology Strategy & Transformation Manager
M&S is on a journey to becoming a simple, agile, product-led business with technology at its heart, continually improving the end-to-end experience for its customers.
To support us on this journey, we are seeking a growth oriented and passionate Transformation Manager to join our team and play a pivotal role in the evolution, adoption, and maturity of lean, scaled agile and product practices and behaviours at M&S.
As a Technology Transformation Manager, you will take a hands-on approach to design, development and delivery of the future Operating Model to accelerate us on the journey from project to product. You will be an authority in crafting solutions to our top priority problems and working directly with teams and leadership alike across both technical and non-technical areas of the organisation to help implement these solutions and drive improvements to our delivery mechanisms and culture.Description
This is an exciting opportunity to join a leading British retailer that serves millions of customers around the world and to lead significant change across the organisation following the launch of its new strategy focused on crafting business agility with a steadfast focus on improving the omnichannel customer experience.
In this role you will be responsible for shaping and driving adoption of Lean, Scaled Agile, DevOps and Product practices, and acting as a key ambassador for the move from project to product across over 100 agile delivery teams, Delivery leads, Product Managers, and business partners. You will provide Operating Model and ways of working advisory services and implementation support that will help Portfolios shift how they coordinate and operate to realise meaningful business growth.
In addition to defining the strategic approaches, you will work directly with a broad range of teams, leaders, and partners to embed change and build agile attitudes focused on continuous improvement. You should be passionate about delivering results and taking a hands-on approach to defining and leading organisations through change, be experienced in translating strategic priorities into realistic and achievable transformation roadmaps and tailoring approaches based on the context of the team, technology and partner landscapes.Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Work with the Technology Transformation Pillar Leads and Technology Leadership Team to define the transformation strategy to move to being a Product-Led organisation that maximises value delivery focused on the omnichannel customer experience.
- Translate the organisation’s strategic priorities and vision into achievable and realistic transformation roadmaps, prioritising the highest impacting initiatives first and ensuring that dependencies are understood and planned effectively.
- Shape target outcomes considering quarterly and annual timeframes and define the measurement approaches to demonstrate meaningful progress.
- Work directly with teams and leadership to shape and evolve the Product Operating Model, supporting Portfolios to create Product Model maturity roadmaps and execution plans to drive empowerment, efficiency and reduce duplication or work across common areas.
- Challenge existing processes and develop central strategic frameworks, standards, ceremonies, and best strategy for agile ways of working at scale. Work closely with the Agile Coaches to test the concepts and drive adoption, tailoring the approach to the maturity of the teams and/or corresponding business context or technology landscape.
- Champion and drive agile approaches. behaviours and product ways of working throughout the organisation, acting as a Subject Matter Expert, role model and coach to individuals, teams, leadership and business partners.
- Develop strong relationships with business partners and key senior collaborators to build an understanding of the varying organisational maturity and tailor adoption plans accordingly.
- Collaborate with colleagues across the organisation to shape and implement the future tooling strategy focused on ensuring tools are fit for purpose, viable, easy to use and meet the necessary reporting and dependency management needs of the delivery teams.
- Collaborate with Service Management Leads to shape and drive the DevOps adoption framework and the future of Service within a Product-Led Operating Model; work directly with teams and Portfolio leadership across Product, Delivery and Engineering to shape tailored DevOps adoption roadmaps based on the core framework.
- Monitor and communicate progress of key transformation metrics to partners (tech and business leaders)
- Keep up to date with industry trends relating to Business Agility, Product and DevOps and maintain an involvement in industry agile communities to continuously bring new methods and ideas to the organisation.
- Assist with establishing communities of practice and developing a culture of continuous improvement across teams.
- Collaborate with the wider Tech Transformation team to evolve the overall change strategy, plan the execution approach to support realisation of ground-breaking benefits and supervise progress on an incremental basis.
- Strong and effective communication – able to convey complex messages in a simple and concise manner to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Proven experience in delivering strategic business wide transformation change within a technology and/or digital environment
- Excellent organisational skills – able to manage multiple priorities and deliver to daily metrics
- Strong presentation skills
- Experience of hands-on end to end IT/digital delivery and operations
- Experience designing, developing and leading agile and product-led operating models
- Deep expertise in and working experience of Agile Methodologies and practices including Scrum, Kanban and DevOps in a Product-Led and Delivery Organisation
- Understanding of engineering practices like BDD, XP and Agile Testing, Continuous Integration and Continuous delivery and able to facilitate, understand, and contribute to technical discussions
- Demonstrated ability to influence change and resolve issues at the leadership level.
- Strong problem-solving skills that can be applied to resolve complex business and technical challenges.
- Experience developing and tracking agile transformation metrics and using them to inform roadmaps.
- Adaptability, pro-active nature, and a willingness to learn new skills, technologies, and frameworks.
- Prior experience working in the Retail Industry
- Bachelor’s degree
- proven experience working in an agile delivery environment
- Agile certification (e.g. SAFe, Scrum, LeSS, DAD)
- Solid understanding of agile tools and software e.g., Jira, Jira Align, Confluence, Rally, Miro and Mentimeter
- Experience as an agile coach and workshop/training facilitation
- Experience driving DevOps Adoption
- Design thinking
- Experience crafting OKRs and mentoring others on the methodology
M&S is ready to push boundaries to lead the industry into a greener, speedier, more inspiring digital era. That’s why we’re revolutionising how we work and offering our most exciting opportunities yet. There’s never been a better time to be part of our team. Marks & Spencer aims to be an inclusive organisation, trusted and admired by our colleagues, customers and suppliers. Join us and make an immediate impact. We are committed to an active Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunities Policy, which starts with our recruitment and selection process, and we are happy to talk flexible working. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process. If you consider yourself to have a disability or learning difficulty which means you are unable to complete the application process online, please get in touch either by phone on 0345 300 3725 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can make alternative arrangements for you.
Similar roles for you
selected for you
Our amazing colleagues span many walks of life - all with some brilliant stories to tell. Here are just some we think you’ll want to look at.View More